III. The Triwizard Tournament

September 1st, 1994

Percy was sat on the Hogwarts Express a week after the uproar at the World Cup and his brief time in the Ministry's holding cells, staring out the window as he held Saskia, his black tabby cat, in his lap, stroking her back with his fingers as she purred happily. He'd had her since his second year, though she always stayed with Severus in his muggle town during the summer since the Dursley's had threatened to throw her out as soon as he arrived on the platform after second year. He couldn't very well stop them either since he was at Camp Half Blood on the other side of the world. Severus, after casting a particularly nasty glare at Aunt Petunia, had offered then and there to take care of her over the summer. Percy wasn't very pleased at first but it was better than her being thrown out onto the streets of Surrey. Severus had also been watching her over the nine months as Perch had been... preoccupied.

Now, with time to get stuck in his own mind, Percy couldn't help but think back to the events of the World Cup and his time in the ministry, though he was happy to forget that fat toad.

Although, he could not ignore the strange looks which Piper and Cedric kept casting in his direction, no matter how many times he flipped the pages of the book in front of him or shuffled uncomfortably under their gazes. It was different between the three of them now, Percy could feel it. Now, Piper was a demigod, the three of them had fought in yet another war and Percy... well, he couldn't say nothing in him had changed. He could feel that too; he'd jump at the slightest noise and was constantly exhausted from sleepless nights (which was bound to get worse now that Annabeth, his only source of comfort and understanding, was going to be on the other side of the world).

Finally, though, Percy had enough of those looks.
"Spit it out," he said hotly. The two flinched; Percy rarely used that tone of voice.

They shared another look before Cedric stammered out. "Are you ever going to tell us what happened? Down there, I mean?"

Percy's eyes flicked to him before quickly going back down to Saskia's back, having snapped the book closed. "Nope," he replied quietly.

"Why not?" Piper questioned, "We're your best friends. We've known you longer than you've known Annabeth or Grover or-"

"Enough," Percy snapped, gently pushing the cat from his legs so that he could stand.

"Percy-"

"No! You don't want to know what happened! That place- it messes with your head, Piper! I can't- I won't repeat it again, not for you."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Piper asked, her braid falling in her face as she stood up, crossing her arms. "We're not good enough for you?"

Percy shook his head. "Where is this even coming from?! Up until last summer, you didn't even know all this existed!"

"Well I do now! I was on that ship when you fell Percy, and I was helpless, so let me help you now-" she reached for him but Percy pushed her hand away, his eyes swirling dangerously. Piper stepped back as Percy sighed, pretending not to notice her flinch away from him - she was scared of him.

"I'm going for a walk. Watch Saskia, will you?" He didn't give them chance to reply before he stepped into the corridor, slamming the door closed behind him.

~•~

The train was quieter than usual. Everyone was inside their own compartments, their whispers becoming more urgent when Percy passed their doors. Of course, everyone knew he went missing last year and now here he suddenly is again.