XVIII. The Pyre

June 26th, 1995

"Today we acknowledge a really terrible loss," Dumbledore announced to the gathered assembly. "Cedric Diggory was as you all know, exceptionally hardworking, intricately fair minded. And
most importantly a fierce, fierce friend. I think therefore you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort. The ministry of magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so I think would be an insult to his memory. Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, reminds us that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events the bonds of friendship we made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain, you remember that. And we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true right to the very end."

Percy stood in the back, in the shadows of the walls of the Great Hall, Annabeth at one side, Piper at the other. Their faces were blank of emotion, as was his. Even with the stares pointed at them, they refused to acknowledge the attention. They just listened, silently, mourning.

As the assembly came to an end, the demigods slipped out of the hall, hopefully unnoticed. Unfortunately, they only got as far as the entrance of the school before Amos Diggory and his wife, Anne, caught up with them.

"Percy, Piper, Annabeth," Amos said carefully. "We... we wanted to remind you that this was not your fault. Not one of you would have intentionally harmed our son. It is the fault of the gods... for not protecting you. And it the fault of Voldemort."

"You believe us?" Percy asked softly.

"Yes," Anne said. "We know it was no accident... we only want you three to know that he loved you as much as he did us. You are his family too, as are we."

They continued out of the castle, quickly making their way to the village where they could apparate away. On their way, Percy saw Ministry officials carrying out another body: the one of Barty Crouch Junior.

Good riddance, Percy thought.

"Are you sure you want to go, Percy?" Piper asked. "Harry... you're going to leave him alone?"

"Not by choice," Percy said, "Dumbledore told me to stay away until he and I could have a, erm, conversation, as he put it."

"When?"

"No idea."

~•~

June 27th 1995

Returning to Camp Half Blood felt different this time. The atmosphere was dark, as always after a battle. Even now, however... there was no life.

The Hectate cabin was particularly quiet. Lou-Ellen had taken over Cedric's position as the cabin leader permanently. She was the first to lead her cabin to the arena where the fire wood stood still, waiting to be lit. They carried his pyre. Then the other cabins followed from the first to the last. Percy and Nico followed at a distance. Nico was to conduct the ceremony as usual, though today he seemed particularly sombre.

Percy and Nico parted ways at the arena. Percy went to stand beside Piper, whose face was hard as stone. Of course, this was the second time in less than three months that she had to attend the burning of someone she loved dearly. Silently, Percy slid a hand into hers as Nico started and the fire was lit.