Chapter Four

Elle’s p.o.v

The wind whipped my face as I walked down the street with my hands full of store bags. It had been a very productive shopping day, not so nice on the wallet. I looked up at the boutiques, hoping to make one last stop before dinner. We had finally reached the place I wanted, my heart started to beat faster as a mix of excitement and unease filled me. I had told myself countless times that this was necessary.

"What are we doing here? You aren't seriously going inside are you?" Lila whined. 

"Yes, I am. Mel, you'll come with me?" I smiled hopefully at my best friend. I watched her expression soften and she finally nodded. "It's settled then. Mel and I will go and we'll meet the rest of you for dinner after,” grinning as Tiffany joined us. I pulled the door open and stepped out of the wind and into the silence. My eyes scanned over the room, settling on a particular section. 

I moved through the boutique, picking out items for myself, feeling the delicate materials under my fingertips. 

"Hi, can I help you?" I turned my attention to the woman speaking to me. Her white teeth flashed in contrast to her dark skin and eyes, a million dollar smile. She was tall and graceful looking, the perfect figure to model the pieces I was surrounded by. 

"Actually, yes you can," I smiled brightly despite my newly found insecurities I felt around her. "I'm looking for the right set."

"Bridal? Playsuit? Corset styled? You'll have to be a bit more specific."

"I… um well," all thoughts fled from my mind and I was left dumbfounded by her questions. I hadn't thought any of this through. "You see, I don't really know. Something I can feel good in I guess." 

The woman's expression looked slightly confused as I tried to better explain myself. She finally seemed to grasp the idea and her blinding smile returned. "Well how 'bout we find you some different sets and you can choose from those. My name is Onya by the way." I nodded, introduced myself and started to follow her around as she picked out things for me. I gave her my vague ideas as she selected "skin-tone-flattering" and "curve-accentuating" pieces. I was finally ushered into a changing room as Mel and Tiffany rejoined us with a few things of their own. I peeled off my clothing and unclasped my bra before taking a look at myself. The bruises on my ribs had yet to completely fade, morphing into a green-yellow shade. My hips still had a deep colouring to them although they were no longer sore, the marks I had received from dirty hands leaving their traces. My body was covered in unfamiliar markings from the attack I couldn't remember. I fought back tear from slipping from my eyes and tried to smile at my reflection as my imagination swarmed my mind with brutal thoughts of almost being gang-raped. I was extremely thankful for not only being saved in time but for having forgotten what had happened, even if I had lost much more than just that. I pushed aside my thoughts to focus on the task at hand. I slipped on the first set and clasped and hooked everything into place. The crimson set was incredibly soft against my skin and the detailing held my attention. However, I couldn't help but adjust the pieces, feeling uncomfortable in my skin. My focus was drawn to the bruises and marks I desperately tried to cover.

"Elle? Are you okay in there? You're taking forever," I heard Melanie call from the outside. I wiped my eyes, slipped on the new heels I had purchased and opened to door to reveal myself. 

"You look beautiful!" Onya cooed sincerely, her face lighting up. I smiled weakly at her as the tears spilled down my cheeks again.

The next few minutes were a blur. I was swept off and sat down on the cream ottoman by Melanie. Hot tears streamed down my face as she put a robe around my shoulders. My voice hitched in my throat, a knot taking away my ability to speak.  I could hear the murmurs as Tiffany tried to placate the situation and explain to an uneasy Onya why I was sobbing. I was sure she thought it was her fault when really it had been of my own. I felt cold and lost wearing the red, more exposed to the world than I was able to handle. I tried so hard to pull myself together, but for some reason I felt completely torn apart.