Winter Wonderland Or Death Trap

Chapter 9

The light pours in as I stare out at humanity.  Auirus Pulls on my hand “Lidia its time to get ready, then send you to the launch pad. I follow him with now words just a giant lump in my throat. I hadn’t seen Jess since I woke up and even then all he told me everything was going to be ok. How did he expect everything to be ok when we’re fighting for our lives? We walk down the hallways to the room where I get ready then launched into my death. We walk in and laid out for me are the clothes everyone while be wearing in that arena.

A plain white T-shirt made of thick material, and black pants that look skin tight at the bottom of the left leg there is attached a brown pocket with nothing in it.  Then a sweater with fur on the collar and the top part a black color and the bottom a gray with a harder fabric than the shirt and hiking boots and fingerless black gloves. Auirus picks the clothes up and feels them “Hmm cold weather” he said. Auirus helped me put it all on and then put my black hair into a ponytail and brushes my bangs behind my ear. Then he puts the last thing on me the golden trident necklaces.

Auirus kisses my head “Alright, remember what you learned” he said, “I have my money on you and your brother”. I hug him and thank him for everything he’s done for us. Then the signal goes off that it time to get on the metal plate. They inject me with something and I step onto the plate and am lifted up slowly I wave bye to Auirus sure this will be the last time I see him. The plate heads into the arena and I’m surprised by what I see.

It was a winter wonderland. There was snow everywhere. I looked over to the left there was mountains with millions of caves covered in snow an just below them in the far distance a small little cabin with who knows what in it. I look infront of me and there it is the golden Cornucopia with layers and layers of weapons around it behind are the woods that circles to left and head on for miles. The trees have so many leaves still on it that cover up whatever could be hiding in it. If only I was a good climber. I scan to the rest of the tributes looking; we’re put in a U shape around the Cornucopia. I can’t seem to find Jess!

I only have 60 seconds on this metal plate so I have to analyze fast. I look at where the cornucopia is and think how fast I could get there, and what I would need. I look at the tributes that seem fast and think which one of them I could fend off I’m hoping that maybe the Careers will help me. I look at the weapons nearest me and which ones I need. Then it comes the last couple of minutes before we run for it…..

3…2…1 GO! I feel the cold wind whipping on my face as I force my legs to go the fastest they’ve ever gone at the Cornucopia. I slip on the snow and land next to the weapons I grab at them desperate for protection I’m the first one there. I take a green backpack a couple of knifes that I stuff into the pocket. Then I hear loud footstep coming toward me I turn ready with a knife in my hand. It’s Will carrying Darling on his back as he runs right past me I know he’s not a threat, yet so I get the last thing I need a shiny silver sword at the top of a pile. I sprint up the pile and grab the sword I look back down and Wills already running to the mountains with Darling.

I hold my hand tighter on the sword then a knife passes my left ear I look over in the direction of the knife and there goes the District 7 girl heading for some more knifes. More tributes start to arrive when I throw my knife at the girl it hits her in the arm and she slips onto the floor. Warm liquid splashes on my right arm there’s a fight going on right next to me. I look in every direction and I’m in the mix of different fights. I look for Jess in the mixture of it all, but he’s nowhere to be seen. Then there’s a sharp pain on my shoulder I don’t have time to look at it I have to run away from the fights!

I head toward the woods without looking back. I run for what seem like hours until I stop figuring that must be enough distance between the Cornucopias. It hits me we’re running on snow, and when running on snow you leave tracks. I turn around in a rush and almost slip, but there was no train the snow seems to form back to its spot. I catch my breath, and punch a tree then slid down it onto the snowy floor. How could I be so stupid! I just left my brother back there he might get hurt or worse! He must be worried about me! The only person I had to care about in these games, and now I can’t find him! I feel so paranoid alone. The little sun there is starts to set and I have to look for a hiding spot.

I walk around for what fells like half an hour looking for a place on ground to hide with no luck. I decide to try and climb one of the smaller trees. I make it to the top and sit on a branch that was being covered by all leafs and snow. I grab my green backpack and decide to look through it there was a bottle of water, beef jerky, fresh fruit, and a blanket then I take a look at the cut that knife left me,not that bad. The warm blanket feels good around my body. I stare out into the now freezing darkness hoping Jess was ok….

*****Jess POV*****

“I’m sure she’s ok” Ruby said trying to calm me down. I look like I’m about to go into hysterics. Where was Lidia?! Was she ok?! Why did she just run off like that?! I blame myself. I was suppost to watch over her protect her!

“It’s not like she’s a little kid, what is she like 14” said Sparkle rolling her eyes at even the mention of my sister. “Well she’s still my little sister” I yell at her.

“Alright just calm down lets head over to that little cabin and see what’s in it” said Shine. I calm down some and pick up my weapons a spear that could be shortened to fit in your hand. I also had about 5 knifes and a water bottle. But there’s no use for them if not to take care of Lidia. We make it to the little brown cabin and open the door; all that’s in there is one king bed some cabinets with canned food in them and water in a mini fridge. Then the anthem plays and we drop all our weapons and run out side to see the faces in the sky. There they go 4 people dead today, the District 10 girl, both from District 8, and the one I killed the District 7 girl to let my sister get away.

I feel a lump in my throat as I remember how I killed her. She picked up the next knife to throw at Lidia as she ran away without thinking I grabbed the first weapon insight, a spear that I threw at the girl from behind and it pierced her right on her lower back  and went all the way through. Blood spilled from her mouth and she was dead. But at least my sister’s alive.

“Hey, are you going to cry or go hunting for tributes” Chance said snapping me back. I try to sound strong when I say “hunting”.

“Alright then, three of us hunt and three of us stay here and guard” said Ruby. Three? Oh yea that’s right we spared the District 9 boy, Dylan’s life because he was good at hunting. He just let his sister go off alone.

“’Ok Sparkle, Shine, and me will go hunting” said Chance, “Ruby, Dylan, and Jess stay here and guard”. I had no problem with guarding, but then Shine said “No, Chance you stay here with your sister and Jess comes with us” Of course Shine had already taken the position of leader so Chance just nodded and gave his sister a look like I could have gone hunting if it wasn’t for you. With that we grab our weapons and head out into the now freezing cold air….

*****Lidia POV*****

I breathe a sigh of relieve. I smile to myself Jess is still alive! There were only 4 tributes dead that’s a low number that means there are still 19 tributes out there. Then I remember Tara and Ryden I have to find them, they will be my alliance. With all this rushing in my head I move around and the cold air hits my body as I move the blanket tighter on my body. Suddenly hiding in a tree didn’t seem like such a smart idea. I’ll just have to look for them tomorrow maybe even finding Will and Darling. I adjust my gloves and zip my jacket all the way up ready for the cold night ahead. At least I hope Jess has a better hiding spot than me. I drift off to sleep with dreams of Jess and me back home with Daniel and our Mother…..

___________________________________________________________________

hey, sorry about all the POV switches it wont be like that on the rest of the chapters I was just trying to show how the both felt on the First day of the games. I might updated again next week not sure but they week after that I cant got some serous test coming up >.<.

Anywho I would like to say thanks to all the people that have viewed commented or voted on this story. it means alot :')

Fan,Comment,Vote, Keep reading!! <3

~Heal-Over-Time