That Number

• Dedicated to All my Hunger Games Fans

Chapter 7

I lay awake in bed just waiting for the knock on my door signaling the time to get up. Today was your private session with the Game makers. I had no idea what I was going to do; on the other hand jess was already saying he was going to throw some spears at dummies. I could just show them a little of the hand-to-hand combat I learned, but that sounds like something everyone would do. I thought one of the best things I could do was either throw knifes or use a sword. Of course my survival skills where alright, but that wouldn’t get the Game Makers attention.  Just as I’m sure I’m about to actual get some sleep in there goes that knock on the door.

“Go away” I almost beg. “Oh, come on sleepy head” Jess says In a Liz voice “We have a big big day”.

“No this is not; this is the worst day of both of our lives”

“Yes, but we need to be strong at least get some sponsors”

“Fine then” I said before he leaves. I get out of bed and comb the black hairs in my eyes back. I head to the shower, and yet almost fall asleep leaning against the shower wall. After the second knock on my door from Liz I get my towel and head out the shower. This time laid out on the bed is some navy blue cargo pants and a plain white T-shirt that I slip on.  I put my hair in a ponytail so that whatever I pick to do my hair won’t get in my eyes. I look at myself in the mirror and rub my eyes that in corners seem to be red.  I walk out to breakfast and have some oatmeal as jess and Finnick chatter away about hoe Jess is so good at spears. I’m in mid thought when Finnick suddenly decides to talk to me.

“Hey Liz” he said “what are you going to in your private session”

“I don’t know” I murmur

“Well how about some throwing knifes or daggers” he suggest in a little kid voice “I mean you look like you could handle a little dagger”

I wanted to yell at him of course I can, but I look over at Jess to see his scowl he’s still not happy about me using a weapon. After we all finish our breakfast both Liz and Finnick take use to the elevator. We make it to the floor and we get in the line by District boys first then girls. I look infront of us at “our” alliance the Careers all of them looking confident and ready to get high scores I swear there’s even a smile on their faces, Sparkle looks back at me and Jess then she winks.  Time seems to be flying as when you’re nervous Before I know it District 3 is up next

. Will walks in and I call “good lucky” after him, he doesn’t even turn around he just makes a thumbs up. I look back to the end and there goes Tara and Ryden. Tara with her permanent scowl and Ryden with a serious face that made him seem cute.  Ryden eyes meet mine and I wave at him, he waves back. Jess pushes my shoulder “what are you looking at” he asks “Oh, nothing” I answer. He stares daggers at me as if he knows I’m not telling the truth, but just then he’s called in for his session. Before he goes I grab his arm “Do your best” I tell him before he walks away. I hope he does okay at least enough for the careers. I turn around and the room is in silence ever one nervous and scared for their sibling. I thought the perfect number to get would be one in the middle because people would want to take out the weak and the ones that are a challenge.

Here it comes I think, Jess has been in there for a while that means any minute it will be my turn. Then I’m called I turn around one more time to get a reassuring smile from Ryden. I walk in and there go all the effing Game makers with their buffet and clipboards all ready. I hear murmurs as I get closer they go something like “oh yes, I’ve always loved District 4”. This gave me some hope that maybe I will get a good number and sponsors. I decide to use some swords to show my skills on a dummy. I grab the best sword with the nicest blade and bring it into the middle with a dummy. Then I do some of the fancy footwork I learned from Will and changed it around. I end it with moving fast on my feet and a combination of stabbing techniques that hit the vital organs. Accuracy and agility are the most crucial elements of a sword fight and determine the outcome of a fight.

Then when I’m done with a slash with the sword on the back swing to signal I was finishes, the sword flies out of hand and ends up in the head of the dummy infront of the Game makers. Holy shizz, at this point I’m hoping they think I did that on purpose. They stare at the sword with their mouths wide open in silence. Then out of the silence the head Game maker, Plutarch Heavensbee makes a sign and said “You’re dismissed”. I walk out hearing the whispers of them all. I go to my floor and I find ever one in the living room most likely talking about Jess’s session. I take as seat quietly and listen as Jess tells the story.

“Ok” he said “I went all the way to the exit and threw the spear at a dummy it hit it right in the heart, Then all the game makers started to applaud me”

“That’s great” Finnick said then meets my eyes “how was your session Lidia?”

“Great” I say “I used some skills with swords hit dummies and maybe sometimes on accident” I let out all at one time hoping he misses the ‘on accident’ part

He does and smiles “That what sponsors want” he tells me

Then we are alerted its dinner time we eat over some strategy talk Finnick says that at the Cornucopia you have to think if you really need an item, and if you do he have to be prepared to fight for it. That if you’re close at least grab something. But if you don’t need it just run as far away from the cornucopia and the tributes as fast as you can. Dinner passes then we head to the living room for our scores. I sit next to Jess and then the anthem starts with District 1. Shine get an 8 and Sparkle gets a 6, not bad. Then its Chance and Ruby both get 7s. Its Will’s turn and he gets a 6 but poor Darling only gets a 3. Then goes Jess’s picture with a flashing 8 I turn and smile at Jess. What I’ve been waiting for my picture and the flashing number is…….a 9. I mental laugh not thinking ha-ha I got higher than sparkle. Then it hits me I have the Highest career number, there going to want to take me out first!!!!

I reflect on this for most of the scores until its District 12’s turn. First goes Ryden and he pulls out a 6, not bad for someone in that district. Then its Tara’s turn and she get a 10. What a 10?!?!?!?!?! What the heck did she do?!?!?!?! My best guess is it’s genetic from her mother. After the anthem plays its over and everyone pats us on the back and congratulates us on our numbers. We head to sleep and I walk infront of Jess I turn around and see a deep scowl on his face almost like Tara’s. I bet he’s mad because he’s thinking the same thing I am. I’m one enemy people would be after. I didn’t have time to talk to him about it. I already had a head ach and needed some sleep for tomorrow. At least I hope some sleep.

______________________________________________________________________________

Hey, sorry if its kinda short. it was originaly ment to be the scores and the interview in one chapter, but then I noticed it would get to long. But to make it up to you all I'ma Update earlier than normal and it might be kinda short to because the next one will be the last before the get into the arena. Arent you excited?!?!??!?

Fan, Comment, Vote, Keep reading please, <3

~Heal-Over-Time