Chapter 11: At The Opera

An invitation to the opera is what Alexander considered to be a sign of true friendship. When his mother first introduced him to operas at a young age, every opportunity to go to the theatre was a delight. Victor Alvarez's invitation for the entire Stanton family to join them at the opera, he knew that he had found a true friend.

The Stantons and the Alavrezes (including the Monets) rendezvoused to the theatre. Their carriages arrived at the same time. When stepped out of their carriages to greet each other, Alexander and Miss Alvarez looked at each other knowingly. Alexander calmly approached her.

"Good evening, Miss Alvarez," he greeted politely with a bow.

"Good evening, Mr. Stanton," she greeted in return. "Thank you again for returning my ring yesterday. It was very kind of you."

"It was no trouble at all, Miss Alvarez," Alexander replied. "But please don't go losing your jewelry in other places. I can't just go rescuing your accessories."

Beatrice laughed. "It shall not be happening again. People might start to talk."

"We cannot have that. But I should like to savour this moment."

"Why?" she asked him, confused but curious.

"This is the first time you've actually laughed at a joke of mine."

Miss Alvarez adjusted her gloves. "Don't get too used to it. I doubt it would be happening again."

The theatre filled in with the finest of the London's ton gathered together to watch the production of that night. Much to the party's delight, the Stanton's had booked two boxes for them. Alexander sat in his seat, his anticipation. The lights dimmed, the curtains rose, and for the rest of the hour, he just sat there basking in the music and the story.

Alexander was so enamored by the production that by the time the intermission began, his father had to tap him on the shoulder.

"We're off to the halls," father said.

But when everyone walked towards the halls, Alexander watched Regina practically freeze when the Walters looked towards them. He saw the smug look on Alfred Walters' face and had to put his hands behind his back.

"Ah, good evening Sir Alder. Good evening Lord and Lady Stanton. Mr. Stanton. And of course, Miss Stanton." He smiled slyly in Regina's direction. "I look forward to tomorrow."

"Excuse me," Regina said. Without so much of a curtsy, Regina walked away, looking ill.

The Walters looked at the Stanton's, puzzled. Alexander stared down Mr. Walters, who still looked as smug as ever. He curled his fingers together, trying to fight the urge to plant a punch right into his face. 

"Regina!" Alexander called out, following after her.

***

During the intermission, Beatrice felt someone grab her hand and pull her in while walking around the hallways. "Beatrice!" the person cried out cheerfully. It was Hannah, who was smiling as beautifully as ever.

"Hannah! I can't believe you're here tonight!" Beatrice said as she embraced her friend.

"The Captain invited us all," Hannah responded. "A celebration of our engagement."

"How wonderful! I'm so sorry again for ruining the promenade after the Captain's proposal." Beatrice felt a flush of embarrassment return to her. She felt it before they had left the house and she felt it now that she was among the crowd.