Chapter 7: Horrid Truths (Part 2)

When Alexander Stanton first met his little sister Regina on the day she was born, he vowed that he would always protect her. Once, as children, Victor and Regina were playing in the fields that stretched across their country estate. They explored until they reached the woods. Regina felt scared to go in, so they decided to return to the house.

But a snake slithered close to little Regina. 

Alexander noticed the snake. Thinking quickly and moving silently, he picked up a rock and struck the snake's head as it came close to sinking it's fangs into Regina's ankle. Regina screamed when she saw the snake, so he took her into the house.

Alexander promised that he would keep her safe. And he has kept that promise as he and Regina grew up, never failing even once to do what was deemed to be his brotherly duty towards her. 

He would not fail now. 

The morning after the Alvarez ball, Grandfather gathered the family into the drawing-room. The sitting arrangements were so that the family tucked away into one corner while Regina sat alone on one of the larger sofas with Alexander sitting on the opposite chair and Grandfather, who stood before her looking as stern as ever.

"I have some incredible news, for all of you," Grandfather began. "Alexander, you agreed to go to Italy to study and finally take over my business. You will not be going to Italy anymore."

Alexander felt relieved, and he could see that his family was too.

"But it comes with an agreement," he added. 

Alexander's smile dropped. 

"You will not go to Italy because our family business is now here." Grandfather then looked at Regina. "The family business in question being your marriage, my dear." 

Regina looked stunned. "M-my marriage, grandfather?" 

"Yes. You will marry Mr. Alfred Walters, the son of a good friend of mine. Your marriage will expand my business- the business your family will inherit."

Father approached Grandfather. "This is going too far! I asked for your help, but not at the expense of my children's happiness."

"Your children's happiness was risked when you made those foolish decisions that brought you here." Grandfather smiled. "I've arranged an enviable dowry for Regina, and the Walters' are quite eager to make the match."

"But I don't want to get married!" Regina protested. "At least, not yet, and certainly not to someone I do not even know."

"I agree with my sister," Alexander chimed in. "Send me away to Italy for however long you want. But don't force Regina into marriage."

"The Italy offer has expired for you," Grandfather retorted. "Your only job is to secure this match- seeing as your own father couldn't do it himself."

"I refuse!" Alexander countered. "I am not going to do that to my own sister or any of my siblings."

"I don't think you understand, Alexander. I am financially supporting your family. That means income- inheritances for your brothers, and dowries for your sisters."

"I object!" Father yelled. "I will not agree to this!"

"The deal has been struck, dear Viscount," said Grandfather with a smirk. "I'm doing what you couldn't even do for your family. Regina, you meet your fiancé tomorrow. Remember to be grateful for this. Mr. Walters is wealthy and can give you a good life. There's nothing more you could want." 

Regina burst into tears and ran out of the drawing-room.

Alexander stood up from his seat. He looked at his grandfather dead in the eye. The anger inside him was so great. There were so many words he wanted to spew at the old man, but he only managed to say: "You are vile."