Chapter 3: Roses and Wishes

One by one, the first of the designated dance partners for the eighteen roses took Beatrice to the dance floor. Papa, Victor, cousins, close friends. One by one, they each presented her with a rose until they formed a bouquet.

Mr. Stanton was lined up at the very back of the queue of her dance partners, holding a similar rose. When it was finally his turn, Beatrice managed a polite smile as she took the rose from him and they began to glide with the music. She realized that Mr. Stanton had been listed down as her second to the last dance partner. 

"Thank you for filling in for Mr. Newton," Beatrice began. "You weren't obligated to."

"It's my pleasure, Miss Alvarez," Mr. Stanton responded.

"And as you can see, I have not tripped throughout the dances."

"Ah, yes. I know you wouldn't. It was a terrible joke on my part. Please forgive me."

"All is forgiven then."

The music continued to swell and the bouquet began to feel heavy.

"How do you know my brother, Mr. Stanton? Where did you meet?" Beatrice asked, hoping for some conversation to avoid an awkward silence. With each spin and each step, Beatrice could feel her heart pound. He was so close to her.

"Don't you remember?" he replied, almost laughing at the question. "Well, you were much younger then. We met as children when our families diner together in my family's estate."

"I do remember that. But I meant much later. How did you and my brother meet again and become more acquainted with each other."

"We met in the club," Mr. Stanton answered promptly. "We go to the same one and some common friends introduced us."

"Oh that's wonderful..."

Beatrice's voice trailed off when she saw that her ring was flashing red. She was only grateful that the back of her hand was turned so that Mr. Stanton could not see it.

"Wh-what club is this?" she tried to continue.

Mr. Stanton stifled a laugh. "My, you ask so many questions."

"I suppose so. What club did you meet my brother in?"

"I- I really cannot say-"

Suddenly, the next partner in line, cousin David, tapped Mr. Stanton on the shoulder, the rose in his hand bent. "Pardon me," he muttered. "But I believe that it is my turn for the dance?"

"Yes, of course, cousin David," Beatrice acknowledged, curtsying to him. "May I just have a moment before we begin?" She turned to Mr. Stanton. "Are you sure you met my brother in a club?"

Mr. Stanton looked at her, stunned. "Y-yes. Yes, of course. Excuse me." He bowed and quickly walked away.

Cousin David now led Beatrice in the dance, and while she smiled and talked to her cousin for all the other guests to see, she also felt so unsettled. She knew that Victor and Mr. Stanton were close, so it was strange to her that he couldn't even tell her properly how or where they met. The ring already told her: they certainly did not meet in a club. When the dance ended and all the guests applauded, Beatrice gave her bouquet to one of the maids and started searching everywhere for Mr. Stanton while everyone else began to mingle. But he was nowhere to be found. She wandered through the halls and ran into her best friend Hannah Dubois.

"Bea!" Hannah exclaimed as she saw her. "What are you doing here? I know the dance of eighteen roses just finished, but shouldn't you be in the middle of the dance floor and not away from it?"

"I was just looking for someone," Beatrice explained. "But I think he may have already left." 

"I do hope you find him later," said Hannah. "But Bea, while you're here, may I introduce you to someone?"