Chapter 9: An Engagement and a Promenade

The morning of the picnic and promenade was sunny and bright. Perhaps a little too sunny and bright- as though the world knew that something so beautiful was about to happen. Hannah's carriage arrived in front of Kipton House where Beatrice was waiting by the front steps. The carriage door opened and Hannah practically pulled Beatrice in. 

"Let's not keep the Lionel's waiting," she piped. 

"Or rather, let's not keep a future bride waiting," Beatrice whispered back as she settled into her seat.

She also greeted Hannah's mother and sister who were in the carriage with them while Hannah's father and brother had gone in a separate carriage.  

Throughout the entire ride to the park, Hannah held on tightly to Beatrice's hand the way always did when she felt nervous or excited or both. She held Hannah's hand tightly as well. When Beatrice looked at Hannah's face, she saw a kind of hopeful yet worried anticipation written so delicately in her eyes. She had often seen that when they were younger. 

"Are you nervous?" Beatrice asked, hoping to ease her mind. 

"Perhaps a little," Hannah confessed. "He will propose, won't he?"

Everyone laughed. 

"I-I don't know, Hannah," Beatrice said. "I suppose it entirely depends on what clues the captain has given that he would propose today." 

"Well, he's invited all of our families, and- oh, other than that, I can't think of another reason!" Hannah cried. "Oh, what if he isn't proposing after all? I would have hoped all this time for nothing!" 

"Oh, poppet, don't worry!" Mrs. Debois said soothingly. "Just focus on enjoying the picnic with Captain Lionel. He'll propose when the time is right, and if he doesn't propose today- we'll there's always next time."

Hannah took a deep breath.

"Your mother's right," Beatrice agreed. "Just live for the moment. I know that the captain loves you, and he should love you no matter what happens today." 

When they arrived in the park, Captain Lionel was the first to greet them at their carriage. He insisted that he open the door for them and let them out instead of the footman. One by one, the captain took the ladies' hands to escort them out of the carriage as the true gentleman that he was.

Hannah was the last one out. Captain Lionel smiled when he took her hand. "I'm glad to see you again, my lady," he said softly.

"As am I to see you, my dear Captain," Hannah responded cheerfully.

Beatrice felt so warm seeing her dearest friend find a man who treats her with such attention and gentleness. In her heart, she wished for a man whom she could trust to treat her in that manner.

"Thank you all for coming," Captain Lionel said as he brought Hannah to his side. "My family and I are glad to have you all here. Your father and brother are here as well."

Nearby, the Captain's mother and father, grandmother, and brothers and sisters approached the newly arrived guests. They were joined by Mr. Dubois and his eldest son, Hannah's father and brother. Warm embraces, handshakes, and greetings were exchanged. Beatrice was more than happy to participate in this gathering, but her smile dropped when she saw no other than Mr. Stanton among the Captain's party.

***

An hour before the Duboises were to arrive, Alexander had the task of calming down the captain. This man had joined the naval forces of England's crown. He has seen fierce storms and battles and never seemed to fear anything.