Chapter 5: Simply Exhausted

When the entire ball ended and all the guests had left, Beatrice stormed up to her room and practically flung Aunt Clara's ring across the room. The ring landed near the mirror. 

"So much for hiding it!" she screamed.

Beatrice lay down on her bed, still in her debut dress. She lay on the bed staring at the ceiling. The feeling of tiredness suddenly washed over her. But the maids came in anyways to help her out of her dress and into her nightgown. Before she could turn in for bed, Mama came into Beatrice's room. In her hands was a small box. 

"Are you ready for bed, mahal ko?" Mama said as she sat down beside Beatrice on the bed. Mahal ko. My love. Mama always seemed to save the best endearments for special moments. 

"Almost," Beatrice answered. 

"Is everything alright?" Mama asked, noticing how Beatrice fidgeted with her fingers. 

"No, it's nothing."

Beatrice truly hoped that Mama couldn't see the ring she just threw near the mirror because even without looking at it, she knew the diamond would have turned red by now. 

"Everyone's been talking about you and Mr. Stanton," Mama informed Beatrice. "You two seemed to run into each other a lot tonight, during the ball."

"We certainly didn't intend for that to happen," Beatrice assured her. "It was a bit embarrassing bumping into him." 

"Do you like him?" 

Beatrice was stunned. 

"Well, I- no!" she stammered. "I mean, yes, he is a good friend to Victor and he seems like a good sort of person, but I do not like him in the way that you think, Mama."

"I'll believe you then," Mama said. She opened the box that she brought in with her. "I have one last birthday present for you." Mama opened the box to reveal a beautiful heart-shaped locket. "This was your father's gift for me when we were engaged. I thought you should have it. now that you're out in society. Let it remind that you deserve the best love there is."

"It's so beautiful!" Beatrice remarked. "Thank you Mama."

"You're welcome, anak."

Mama kissed Beatrice on the forehead and made her way to the door. She stopped for a moment and turned once more to Beatrice. "I know you said you do not like Mr. Stanton, but if he ever calls on you, I hope you would at least consider giving him a chance."

"Never in a million years! He- he asks to many questions. As though he wants to know everything. And I still haven't truly forgiven him for that awful joke about my dancing this morning." 

Mama laughed. "Very well then. You do not like him."

"I truly do not like him."

Mama closed the door behind her as she left. Why she ever brought up Mr. Stanton, Beatrice could never understand why. He's so strange and he does ask so many questions. He is her brother's friend and that is all. Oh, and if he found out about the ring-

The ring. 

Beatrice did not look at the ring on the floor. She did not want to see what colour it was after what she had told Mama. 

***

"Please leave me alone," Alexander huffed when he heard a knock on the door. He had barely changed out of his party clothes and he didn't wish to see anyone at the moment. 

"It's me," the voice outside the door whispered just enough for him to hear. It was mother. 

Alexander opened the door.  Mother came in holding a mug filled with warm milk. 

"I know you like warm milk whenever you feel upset," mother said as she handed him the mug. 

"I am upset, mother. Thank you for thinking to bring me some warm milk." Alexander took a sip, letting the warm milk soothe him even for a few seconds. "I don't understand why on earth he's here. If he doesn't like us, he doesn't have to come over."

"And I will talk to him in the morning," mother guaranteed. 

Father knocked on the open door. "May I come in?"

"Father..."

"I saw that you both were awake," father explained. "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry that I brought us to this."

"What do mean?" Alexander asked, feeling worried. 

"I'm the reason he's here, son. We're close to losing some of our lands and our new business ventures haven't gone so well. We would be out of income before the year ends." Father looked like he was holding back tears. "Only your mother knows about this. But your grandfather has decided to help us so that we stay afloat."

Alexander shook his head. "No. No, we cannot be dependent on him- especially him!" 

"I know," mother said. "But we have no other choice. We're going to do what we can to regain our financial independence, but for now, we must let your grandfather lead the way." 

"Let him lead the way? He's going to demand something from us. What conditions has he set in order for us to gain his help?"

Father sighed. "We will be discussing it soon." He stretched out a hand and took mother's hand in his, leading her to the door. 

"Don't worry too much about everything, son," Father requested. 

They walked out the door, but before it could close, Regina went inside. "Sorry, mother... father. I just have something to give to Alex." Regina handed him an envelope "Brother, there's something for you."

"Thank you, Reggie. Who is this from?" 

"I think it's from your friend, Mr. Victor Alvarez."

Alexander was confused. "It's barely even morning yet. This came so fast then. How did you get it?"

Regina shrugged her shoulders. "I saw one of the servants bring it in, so I offered to take it to you." 

He opened the envelope, and inside was a note that read:

Alexander,

Thank you again for filling in as one of my sister's dance partners. I owe you for this. We'd like to invite you and your family to an opera next week, if your schedule permits. I know how much you enjoy Italian operas. Consider this a 'thank you' from my family and I. 

- V.A. 

The note made Alexander smile. "Victor's inviting us to the opera next week. He's thanking me, apparently, for dancing with his sister tonight." 

"Why, that's lovely!" Regina remarked. "I've been wanting to go to the opera. Perhaps that will put grandfather in a better mood."

"Please do not mention him. I doubt anything would put him in a good mood."

 "You're probably right. But perhaps you'll see Miss Alvarez there as well."

"I believe we will. The entire Alvarez family will be there."

"I'm sure that would be exciting for you." Regina began to giggle. "Maybe that will put you in a better mood."

"Whatever can you mean?" 

"I think you like her, brother."

"I do not like her- I mean." Alexander couldn't even form the proper words. "She is my friend's sister and nothing more."

"Nothing more?"

Alexander sighed. "Absolutely nothing more. She asks too many questions. And I don't think she finds me funny. We certainly do not fancy each other."

She really was strange. A wonderful girl, but so strange. 

Regina rolled her eyes. "That's what they always say."