Chapter 10: The Visit

When she came through the door soaking wet and wrapped in a thick shawl, Beatrice couldn't even begin to think of how she could explain this to her parents. The ride home was silent with Hannah placing an arm around her.

"I'm sorry I ruined everything," Beatrice mournfully apologized. "I don't know what's come over me."

"Don't even worry about it!" Hannah assured her.

"Are you sure you're not feeling sick, my dear?" Mrs. Dubois asked, feeling very much concerned. 

"I will be alright, Mrs. Dubois. A warm bath and a cup of tea should set me right as rain." 

The carriage stopped in front of Lipton House and Beatrice made her way inside. Mama walked by when Beatrice opened the door, but when she saw her only daughter walk into the house wet and covered in a shawl that acted like a towel, she stopped in her tracks. The grim look on Beatrice's  face said so much.

"Should I even ask what happened?" Mama muttered when Beatrice stepped into the hall.

"I... fell into the lake..." Beatrice began.

Victor came down the stairs and was taken aback at the sight of Beatrice all wet and hair undone. He laughed. "It's a great look on you, sister."

"Shut up, Victor!"

"Enough, you two! We'll talk about it later. Now go and change out of your wet clothes before you catch a cold. I'll have one of the maids fetch you some hot tea."

"Thank you."

She went into her room to prepare for a warm bath. That's when she noticed.

"Oh no... my ring...." she whispered.

It wasn't on her finger.

Beatrice looked through her dress and her purse, but they weren't there to be found. She checked anything that she must have held during the day, but the ring wasn't among those items either. Panic began to rise in Beatrice's chest. That was the last piece of Aunt Clara that she has with her. If anything  happened to it-

"Your bath is ready, miss," one of the maids told her. 

"Thank you," Beatrice replied with a smile. The search would have to wait. 

Throughout her bath and the changing into dry clothing, all Beatrice could think of was the ring. Mama came up to personally deliver her a cup of tea, and she found Beatrice pacing around the floor.

"Beatrice, I have some tea for you," Mama announced. "What on earth are you doing?" 

"Mama, I lost Aunt Clara's ring!" Beatrice wailed. "It must have fallen off my finger when I fell into the lake today. I've looked through my dress and my purse, but they aren't there. It's lost!"

"I'm so sorry, anak!"

"I know I shouldn't have worn it today. But it's become a habit to put it on every morning." Beatrice was on the verge of tears. 

"It's alright! It's going to be alright!"

"It's Aunt Clara's ring! I promised never to lose it!

"Alright, alright. Let's not lose out heads over this," Mama said, trying to soothe her distraught daughter. She sat Beatrice down on a chair and handed her the cup. "Drink this so you'll avoid getting sick. You can't find your tita's ring if you catch your death of cold."