Chapter 1: The Gift

Beatrice Alvarez was thirteen years-old when she was told of the news of her Aunt Clara's death.

Mama had come into her room, her eyes brimming with tears. She sat Beatrice down on the bed. It was minutes before Mama could even form words, and the pauses filled young Beatrice with a quiet sort of dread.

"Darling... anak..." Mama began.

Anak. Child. Mama always called her the Filipino endearment when she had something serious to say.

"Anak... your Aunt Clara passed away a few days ago. We just received word." Mama struggled to compose herself.

Beatrice began to weep. Aunt Clara. Sweet Aunt Clara. She was her father's older sister and was vivacious and fearless. Aunt Clara was gone- Aunt Clara who painted with her and helped her practice her Filipino and her French. Aunt Clara who loved hiking and horseback riding more than staying indoors. Aunt Clara whom Beatrice always missed when she had to travel to the Philippines. She couldn't be gone. She had promised to come back to London. And she never broke a promise.

She didn't want to believe that Aunt Clara was dead. Not that she would ever say that out loud to her parents. But even as she wept and watched her parents weep, Beatrice would sometimes wait at the door. Maybe there was a letter that would arrive telling them that it was all a big mistake. Maybe Aunt Clara herself would come through the door as alive as she ever was.

But neither of those would happen.

The only thing that arrived at the front door days after the news was a large box filled with some items Aunt Clara wanted to leave with them upon her passing. Beatrice didn't want to look at what was inside. After looking at the box, Beatrice ran back to her room.

Mama came up to check on her. "Beatrice. There's something for you in the box."

"I don't want it," Beatrice replied. "I want Aunt Clara."

"I have something from Aunt Clara," Mama gently coaxed. "Would you like to see it?"

Beatrice nodded and Mama handed her a small envelope with her name written on the back. She didn't open the envelope until after dinner. The first thing she took out from the envelope was a letter that read:

My Dearest Bea,

Inside this envelope, you will find a diamond ring that I have been saving to give you on this, your debut-

Beatrice wept again. Aunt Clara would never see her debut. This letter had come five years too soon.

When you are out in society, you will meet people who are honest and truthful and you will meet people who are not. This ring will help you discern between both. There is something... rather magical about the diamond. It burns the brightest red when faced with dishonesty and shimmers the most vivid blue when faced with honesty. This ring has never once failed me in discerning truth and lies, whether they come from other people or from my own self. I hope that it might benefit you the same way.

But most importantly, my dear, dear Beatrice, I hope you learn to discern truth and lies within yourself. An honest heart shines brighter than any diamond ever could.

With all my love,

Aunt Clara

Beatrice looked inside the envelope again, and there was indeed a beautiful diamond ring. She picked it up and didn't feel anything special about the ring itself. It looked like any other diamond ring she's seen. Her own mother owned rings with much bigger diamonds than this.