𝐝𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐞 -

—————

" You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep others warm

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

" You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep others warm. "

—————

"YOU WANT TO BE A KNIGHT, KID? YOU BETTER DO AS I SAY. WE'LL KEEP TALKIN' IF YOU DON'T RUN AWAY CRYING ON YOUR FIRST DAY."

I stared up at him.  The eyes of steel from the Sergeant squinted at me like I was a worm crawling in the fields, falling off of the grass blades and onto my slimy back.  I had to crane my head all the way back to look at him.  I guess that's what happens when an old man and a four-year-old meet.

Speaking of that...why am I here?

Lord Hemswick is nowhere in sight.  That's odd.  He always states that I "have a fire within me" and that it makes him feel secure.  But I thought secure means you're content, and steady with the situation.  So why does he always insist on having five guards when around me?

I miss Lord Hemswick.  He would always bring home the best gifts after I washed the tables and fed the livestock...amongst other things.  The maids said that I was his favorite, which is odd because I am not particularly special in any way.

The sergeant snapped his fingers at me.  My eyes caught the zoning out and I shook my head rapidly in an attempt to refocus.

"You've been starin' at me for a while, kid." he readjusted his leather hat.  "Don't you know it's rude to stare at people?"

"I did not know, sir," I replied.  His left eye twitched at my response.

"I want fifty laps around the courtyard!" He barks.  The sudden increase in volume triggered goosebumps on the surface of my skin.

"Yes, sir."

I immediately went at it.

The first few seconds in the wind with the air through my nose felt like freedom. The next felt like the pure embodiment of hell.

You see, I have poor stamina.

However, the consequences will be great if I don't finish these laps. Last time I was thrown in a cage outside in the snowy winters hanging on top of a massive oak tree.

I get flashbacks about that oak tree to this day.

General Maze would often tell me allegories from her time on the field. She predicts that there'll be a World War by the time I'm old enough. She doesn't want to send children into war however, neither does her wife. They have two children of their own and would rather walk across burning metal than send their kids off into the bloody battlefield.