𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 -

—————

" We started with a simple hello, but ended with a complicated goodbye

" We started with a simple hello, but ended with a complicated goodbye. "

—————

"YOU COULD HAVE BEEN A GOD, Y/N. You could have been as great as me. But here's the thing, Y/N. I wouldn't have sacrificed myself for a kid who can't fucking put two and two together that his commander is losing his damn mind."

I spat at his feet.

The white mask and hastily drawn-on smile masked his nefarious expressions.  I knew he was grinning from his victory of the exchange, despite me having dirtied his netherite boots.

       The cabin in the mountains was hidden by acres and acres of forest.  Moss grew out of every crack possible, the door barely held onto its hinges with the thunderstorm raging outside.  The planked floor shows signs of age with it's flaked edges digging into my epidermis.

"Who could have imagined?  One of the fiercest warriors born on the battlefield now on their knees and dirt in shackles." an arduous kick was delivered to my ribs.  I coughed from the impact in response, more so like a act of courtesy because of the heaved effort he put into it.  The man wearing green circled me as if it were a stroll through the park, hands expressing his prideful thoughts and gestures. "I gotta say, this is quite exhilarating for me."

       I was chained to a ball consisted of unknown weight.  The chains were at least three inches thick.  There was no easy way of getting out.

"How?  Killing someone unarmed and not equipped with armor?" I laughed.  "You must feel so powerful kicking someone with their wrists locked behind their back and legs bound.  Oh, I bet you want to shoot a scarecrow too, don't you?  Does this make you feel all big and mighty?"

       The one with a sullen sage cape stomped towards me.  Dream grabbed ahold of my shirt's white collar, tugging me up to meet his face, nose-to-mask.  I squinted my eyes cheekily, corners of my mouth curling up.

"You are in no position to be talking back to me."  He snarled.  "I can either make the last moments of your life merciful or miserable, it's your pick.  I suggest you choose your next actions wisely."

       I tilted my head up, staring down at him with a smirk.

"I'd rather you get your hot-ass breath out of my face," I leaned my head towards where his ear should be.  " 'Mr. God' ."

He threw me back on the ground.

       I could tell his patience was wearing thin.

Dream fished out a sword from his cape.  He twirled it around like a staff before kneeling down in front of me, tip angled right at the section of my neck where it connects with the head.  "I will kill everyone you know, Y/N.  You and your whole little "rebellion" thing.  Tell me before I do something you don't want," he took a pause, angling his head upwards.  "where is the revive book?"

"Are you planning to resurrect someone?"

"No I'm planing to go to the local market place with a revive book thousands of years old—what do you think?!"

"Hey, I'm not telepathic."

       The tip wedged itself into the first thin layer of my skin.  A few crimson droplets slid out, staining my lap.

"You'll die if you don't tell me."

"You keep threatening me with death, Dream.  Yet you don't follow through with it.  I'll die either way I tell or don't tell you." I yawned. He gave me no reaction. I raised an eyebrow.  "Can you hurry it up?  I've got an appointment with the devil to discuss your holding cell."

"I—"

A loud crash interrupted the interrogation.

"Y/N! I came back!"

I whipped my head towards the entrance with a chipped door.

       My heart dropped.

       Why was he still here—

"Tommy, RUN!"

       Everything next happened in a flash. A sudden pain etched along my neck.

Warm blood dripped onto my shirt, wetting my chest.

More and more I felt soaking up my button-up shirt.  The room was spinning.  Tommy's face was one consumed with horror—Dream vanished at the speed of light. I saw the kid running towards me.

Everything blended together.  There were voices, shatters of glass amongst other objects—but I couldn't tell them apart.

       My head hit the ground with a thud.

The last thing I saw was blood pooling around me, outlining my head before drowning my thoughts.

       'You are an idiot, Tommy.  You should have never came back.'

—————