𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢 - 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐞𝐥𝐝

chapter viii , eyes on the field

       "I FEEL LIKE I MET YOU BEFORE."

       I turned to Technoblade.  He was already staring at me, awaiting a response. I tilted my head.  "I don't think I've ever met you before—not that I would recall anything of use right now with my current status."

       Technoblade shrugged. He held his diamond hoe in hand. "Well, these potatoes won't plant themselves. Care to join me?"

       I gathered potatoes in hand and followed behind him, planting one behind every plowed square following him.

       "Tell me about this war you mentioned," I state.  Techno briefly paused in his actions, soon returning to them like a lag.  "I want to know why you think you've met me before."

       "Well, uh," he cleared his throat.  "You're similar to this one soldier I fought." Technoblade shifted his body around, facing me.  He pointed at my sleeve.  "Hey, pull your sleeves up to your shoulders.  There's something else that I found—well, saw on your shoulder."

       I pulled my long sleeves up.  I took a moment to stare at my shoulder.

There was a...there was some sort of a textured scarred area near the center of my shoulder.  I ran my hand over it. Bumpy, rough, and a noticeable lack of moisture.

       "There." He declares.  "The soldier I fought ended up with a scar resembling that as well as a paralyzed arm.  However, I'm not exactly 100% sure about the rules of being back from the dead so it's not certain if revived people can regain their former lost functions.  But hey, there's a possibility that you could have fought in a war."

       "How did you know they ended up with a scar?" I enquired further.  "Did you run into them after the war?"

       "Oh no," he held his hands up.  "I took precautions to not talk to anyone that I was associated with in battle.  People are so nosey and or are filled with bad intentions. I caused the scar on the person I fought.  It just so happens to be similar to yours.  Theory in progress I suppose."

       'So—So Techno could have possibly paralyzed my right arm in a war that I participated in as well as scar my shoulder? Oh yeah, I can process that no biggie.'

       "And also because of the mark on the back of your hand." He added.

       I instinctively turned both my hands over.  My right hand also had something scarred on it—something burnt into my skin.

       "What does this mean?" I ask.

       "The opposing faction of the one I was on was Shroomsdom," Techno explained. One of his hands grabbed mine and turned it to an angle. Using his middle finger, he etched out the outline. "Their symbol was, well, a mushroom. You can see the hat of the mushroom here. There's also polka-dots."

       His hands were calloused, also an insufficient amount of moisture; but I presume that most of ours are from all the preparation. I noticed the mushroom symbol he was speaking of, although now it was more disfigured.

       "So there is a very high chance that I was in a war and we battled?" I summarized. Technoblade nodded. "Holy fuck."