Chapter 43 - Bombshell

Start from the beginning

Tumayo ako at sumunod kay Cash nang kami na lang ni dad ang maiwan.

"I said stay here, Ezra," dad firmly commands.

Napilitan akong umupo, hindi makatingin sa kanya dahil sunod-sunod na ang pag-irap ko.

"You killed him."

With a blank expression, I look up to meet his stoic gaze. Is he referring to Sebaztian Davies?

"What are you saying dad?"

He takes a sip of his white wine, then sits his glass near the unused gold cutleries, "Possibly if you didn't come late that night with your sister's bodyguards, you're in jail now. No further questions, you killed him."

It took me a long moment to process what he said.

"Are you saying I was set up?" napalunok ako.

"Probably not, I don't even know now Ezra," he massages his temples. "But what I am certain of is that the murderer who intended to end his life was aware that you will be coming over that night."

Kung hindi ko lang alam na ginagawa niya 'to dahil natatakot siyang madungisan ang pangalan niya ay iisipin kong may natitirang pakialam pa siya sa 'kin.

"Why did you go to his place? Let me know why you were there."

"W-wala, I just wanted to talk to him about something," I roll back my shoulders. He seems to be oblivious of my relationship with Rafa, and I refuse to discuss it with him more than possible. Kahit iyong tungkol kay Xiomara ay ayokong sabihin sa kanya dahil alam ko namang hindi niya ako matutulungan kundi makakatanggap lang ulit ako ng dismayadong reaksyon mula sa kanya.

"What is it? Tell me what's going on, Ezra, or I'll assume you're connected to the murderer," his tone deeper, my mouth falls open. Tinatakot ba niya ako? Connected to the murderer?

"Paano niyo nasasabi 'yan ngayon, dad? Gago ako pero alam mong hindi ko kayang manakit ng tao," matigas kong bigkas, tumayo ako para umalis na dahil ayoko nang marinig pa ang sasabihin niya. "With all the people out there that want Sebaztian Davies dead, what makes you think I could do something like that?"

"May kasunduan kayong dalawa to see each other. I also know you loathe that man and would never trust him with your life again, but why would you meet him like that with bodyguards? I couldn't think of any reasonable arguments unless you already knew.."

What he's said has frozen my capacity to walk away from him.

"And that explains everything my security staff told me about your professor being in your condo dressed nothing but your polo shirt!"

Napabalik ako sa upuan ko dahil sa pagtaas ng boses niya na kumuha ng atensyon ng ibang guests dito sa loob.

"I was with the bodyguards because mom told me to, you understand how dangerous your loving friend can be," kalmado kong pahayag, "At ano'ng sinasabi mong alam ko na?"

"Are you dating that professor of yours?"

"I'm asking you dad," kinuyom ko ang mga kamay ko sa ibabaw ng lamesa, bumagsak ang tingin niya roon.

"Do answer my question," palaban niyang sabi as if he's making me choice and I am right, "Answer me o si Cordova mismo ng sasagot niyan dito. I could drag her here right now-"