Time to complete tradition.

・    ・    ・

"Just two tattoos?" the lady behind the desk asks. She seems nice. Black hair that just reaches her shoulders, big brown eyes, and pale skin that is covered by tattoos.

I nod, flicking through the variety of unique designs they have and previous ones this specific parlor has done.

One design is the same as all the others I have tattooed on my body. They just have to replicate it. The other one has been sitting deep in my phone for what has got to be years at this point, but I have been saving it for this exact day. It is fun to see the capabilities of the artists here and their past work. Gotta admit some of these tattoos I would get.

This session will take longer since I am getting multiple, but I am hoping it doesn't take the whole day. That way, I might have time to explore more of the small village in the valley of the mountains. And potentially even meet up with everyone else for après-ski.

The lady behind the desk leaves briefly before returning and ushering me right through to the back of the shop where two tattoo chairs sit, adjacent to each other.

The lady peers up at me, waving a hand to the seat beside her, getting me to sit down. She is shorter than I realized earlier. Or maybe she is just average height, and it is my above-average height that is blurring my perception.

Laying down on the chair, I lift my sleeve showing her the exact spot on my right arm I want my newest tattoo to go. She nods and wanders off to get her supplies.

Pulling out my phone, I find an entire conversation with Kohen, Nona, and Troy on the group chat we have together. I click on it to find a stream of messages, the first one being a photo of the first soccer game I ever won.

I remember nothing from that day, but I remember how I felt and the smile on my mother's face as I came running off that field, right into her arms. She was elated. Proud. She always was. No matter what happened in Kohen and I's lives, she was there filled with the utmost pride directed at whatever we achieved. Big or small, it didn't matter. She was there.

A bittersweet smile ghosts my lips as I reminisce on my mother and read the rest of the messages.

Troy - Today marks ten years. Isn't that crazy? Hope you guys are all alright.

Kohen - Thank you, Troy. I hope you guys are doing well. See you later for dinner.

That dinner completely crossed my mind. I haven't seen either Kohen or Nona and Troy since the last dinner they planned when I stormed out of it rather unexpectedly.

Me - Can't make dinner tonight. Sorry. Hope I see you guys soon, though.

Keeping my phone in the palm of my hand, I open my photo album. Scrolling to the very top, finding the exact photos I am looking for.

The tattoo lady returns, tattoo gun in hand as she preps the skin with antiseptic and presses the design sketch onto my skin.

Focusing on the picture, I limit myself to only looking at it once a year. I feel the emotions building up. Nona and Troy on are either side of me, looking as happy as ever. Beads of sweat trickle down my face, tangling the strands of my hair together, laying astray on my forehead and sticking out in random places.

I look happy. I was happy. Though, I think it was mainly due to the fact Nona promised to take me out for a celebratory meal after I cooperated and took a photo with her and Troy.

Studying the photo a little longer fills me with a feeling of melancholy. In the photograph, I am smiling, but the memories from that day are quite the contrary. I guess that is what I like about photographs. They are proof that once, even if it was just for a heartbeat, everything was perfect. Or as perfect as an eleven-year-old life could be.