Chapter 72: No More Wasting Time

En başından başla

Selena walks around the bed and Miguel keeps his eyes on her as she does. She stands at his bedside where Carmen previously was and gazes at the boy's face, feeling her heart hammering in her chest as she looks into those brown eyes she missed so much. A soft smile forms on her face and she whispers, "hey, Miguelito." The boy can't help the grin tugging at his lips. "Hey," he whispers back. Selena's been waiting for this day but now she's nervous as she looks at him, not knowing what to say. She doesn't want to say the wrong thing.

Miguel eyes the wrapped box in her hands. "W-what's that?" he asks. The girl glances down at the box, having forgotten that she had it. "Oh. Uh, this is for you," she states, holding it out to him. "Do you want me to unwrap it?" she asks. "Yeah," the boy responds, chuckling. "Okay," she lightly chuckles before tearing the wrapping paper off. Once she removes all the paper, she turns the box around to show it to the boy. "Ta-da!" Selena voices, showcasing a Spider-Man Funko Pop. Miguel smiles when he sees it. "Wow. You bought this for me?" he utters, grabbing the box.

"Yeah, um... I actually got it like a week ago. I saw it online and I thought of you because I know you like Spider-Man... and you kind of give Peter Parker vibes so," the girl nervously chuckles. "It's been sitting in my room. I don't know, I guess I just wanted to give it to you myself," she adds, somewhat timidly. This makes Miguel's heart leap. She's being so cute right now. "Thanks, Sel," he quietly tells her. The girl softly grins. "I missed you... I'm so happy you're awake," she claims. Miguel smiles at this.

"My Peter-tingle was tingling," he jokes, holding up the Funko Pop. Selena laughs at this, causing him to lightly laugh along. "Your Miguel-tingle," she voices, causing them both to chuckle. The boy hadn't really felt like smiling all day until Selena showed up. As always, she managed to make him feel better. All of a sudden, a nurse comes in to take Miguel's brace off. Selena stands back as the nurse works. Once the contraption is off, the nurse gives Miguel a gown to slip on and asks him how he feels. Fortunately, he feels fine and truly has no more need for the brace.

With that, the nurse exits the room, leaving the two teens alone once again. Miguel rolls his head, happy that he's free to move now. The girl observes him, warmth filling her body as she watches him move. She prayed to see him like this again. She's so glad it's finally happening. However, the warmth is quickly replaced with guilt, and her face falls. If I don't say something, this feeling is gonna keep eating me up alive, she thinks. "Miggy..." she softy speaks, making the boy's eyes shift to her. Curiosity and concern fill his eyes when he notices the sadness on the girl's face.

"Yeah?"

Selena nervously plays with her fingers and averts her gaze. "Um, I just... I'm sorry... This shouldn't have happened. Especially not to you," she apologizes, finally meeting the boy's eyes. "I could've prevented it... if I had just been fast enough, I-" she vents before Miguel cuts her off. "No, hey, hey," he utters, reaching his hand out. Selena steps closer to the bed and takes his soft hand. Miguel takes her hand in between his and stares into her eyes as he speaks. "It wasn't your fault. I don't blame you, okay? This isn't your fault," he gently assures her.

The girl merely nods, which makes Miguel smile softly. He removes his right hand from on top of hers but doesn't let go of her with his left hand. Silence takes over for a short moment and Selena gazes down at their connected hands, gently squeezing his. "Hey... um, I have a kind of weird question," she mentions, chuckling nervously. "What?" Miguel asks.

"Okay, um, you don't have to answer if it makes you uncomfortable. I guess I'm just being metiche [nosy]... So, they say that coma patients can hear what's going on around them, like footsteps or voices, but that it's rare for them to remember what they heard. Do you remember anything?" Selena questions as they let go of hands.