Chapter 11: You Are So Hot Right Now

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, Hannukkah, or whatever you celebrate 🥰

-

-

The couple climbs out of the car and heads toward the front door when they arrive. Daniel steps inside first with Rosalía on his tail. They instantly spot Tom Cole attending a customer. Daniel's jaw clenches and he purses his lips when his eyes land on him. "Nice car..." he trails off, catching the shorter man's attention. "But before you buy, I'd read the fine print. I hear the guy that runs this place loves to sneak in bogus charges. Dealer prep, extended warranties. You know, they get you any way they can," he conveys, shrugging. Tom laughs at this. "Hey, Dan," he greets before excusing himself from the customer and offering her a boba. 

He turns back to face Daniel and takes a sip of his boba, giving him a relaxed look. "So how was lunch?" he taunts. Daniel immediately replies, "cut the crap. I just saw your new TV spot." Rosalía stays behind him, listening to the commencing argument. "You did? What'd you think?" Tom asks with a wide grin. It was disgusting, Rosalía thinks. "Well, I don't know if my favorite part is when you steal the whole plant thing from me or imply I'm a water waster. Or maybe it's when you suggest that I am somehow unpatriotic," her husband spits. Tom chuckles as he sips on his straw, stepping forward. "You know what's patriotic? Free speech," he speaks up.

The couple just gawks at him, Rosalía raising an eyebrow. "Besides, I'm just doing what you're doing. I'm not really a Revolutionary soldier and you're not really a karate guy," he claims. The woman scoffs. "Wow, you've been living under a rock," she comments. Daniel chuckles, nodding in agreement. "Actually, I was two-time All Valley champ," he verifies. Rosalía smiles proudly, nodding supportively. "Woah! Did you hear that, everybody? We got a two-time karate champ over here. Guess I should be worried. Wah-sah-sah!" he announces, imitating a karate cry. Everyone laughs while the couple stares daggers at Tom. Daniel looks down in embarrassment.

"You know, a simple Google search would confirm it. But I guess easy research could be challenging for some people, huh, Tom?" Rosalía patronizes, narrowing her eyes at the short man. The corners of Daniel's mouth turn up into a small smile. He loves how she's always ready to stand up for him, just like he is for her. Tom laughs, pretending that her comment doesn't bother him. "Oh, Rosie, you are one smart cookie," he states, pointing at her as he walks toward the pair. "Call me Rosie again and see what happens," Rosalía warns, falsely smiling as she takes a step forward. Daniel sticks his arm out to stop her and leans close to her face. 

"Calm down, Ro," he whispers, knowing how much she hates being called anything but "Rosalía" by people she doesn't like. The only person she lets call her "Ro" or "Rosie" is Daniel. Tom sticks his hands out in surrender. "Come on, guys, I'm just joshing with you!" he claims, smiling widely. "Let me get you two a boba. Angela, get the LaRussos a boba," he speaks, calling for Angela. A blonde woman approaches the couple but halts when they reject the offer. "No, thanks, Angela," they both say, sticking their right hands up. They switch their gaze back to the man in front of them. 

"Look, I just came down here to tell you to back off, okay? I got a lot of stuff going on and I don't need this," Daniel expresses. Tom just gapes at him for a moment. "Hey, I'm sorry, Dan. I guess the, uh, rivalry gets the best of us sometimes," he apologizes. Daniel seems to believe he's being sincere but Rosalía isn't entirely convinced. "Hey, look. The Valley's big enough for two auto kings. Am I right?" he asks. Daniel stays silent but his face says that he's not opposed to the idea. "You sure I can't get you a boba? Rosalía?" he acknowledges them both. They both shake their heads. "No, I'm good. Thanks," the woman replies. "Nah. Nah. I'm fine," her husband responds at the same time.

Tom tilts his head and responds, "alright. Ah, I guess you must be full after eating all that dick," he cockily says, taking a sip of his beverage. Laughter emits around them while Tom continues to mock him. Oh, no he did not,  Rosalía thinks. Her eyes dart to her husband, who has a sarcastic grin on his face. "Love the billboard!" someone calls out as the two turn around to leave. Daniel suddenly stops in his tracks and spins into a kick, knocking Tom's boba out of his hand. Everyone instantly falls silent. Rosalía's jaw drops. This isn't something her husband would normally do but Tom totally deserved it. She smirks at the small man's shocked face.