Chapter 41: B!tch Better Have My Money

Selena and Miguel sit on the couch cackling at a joke the girl made. Miguel's laughing so hard that he falls off the couch, making the girl laugh even more. She tries to catch her breath, her laughter subsiding a bit as she stands up and extends her hand out to the boy. "Here," she utters. Miguel's eyes flicker between her face and hand before he grabs it and pulls her down.

Selena yelps as she falls on top of him, causing the boy to laugh. She lifts her head and flips her hair back with her hand. She gasps and jokingly exclaims, "you traitor. I was trying to help you!" The boy merely shrugs, sending her an arrogant grin. "Oops," he utters indifferently. The girl narrows her eyes and smiles, shaking her head.

They both chuckle until they realize the position they're in. Miguel's arm rests on Selena's hip as she lays on top of him. They both stop breathing and their smiles slowly disappear as they stare at each other, admiring one another's features. The boy gulps, feeling nervous underneath her. His eyes land on the girl's lips, he really wants to kiss her. Selena glances at his lips as well before meeting his eyes. She thinks of kissing him too but isn't sure that she should. Before either of them can process what they're doing, they start to lean in. Right when their lips are mere centimeters from touching, a knock sounds at the door.

They snap their heads up in the direction of the door before turning to each other with stunned faces. "Um..." Selena chokes out, rolling off of Miguel and sitting on the floor next to him. The boy just stays there, staring at the ceiling as he tries to process what just happened. He snaps out of his daze and sits up, glancing at the girl before standing up. He offers his hand to Selena, who takes it, letting him pull her up. "I should get that," Miguel mutters, pointing at the door. The girl awkwardly nods. "Yeah, yeah. Uh, I should go anyway. I have rehearsal soon," she replies. They just nod at each other, tension filling the air.

"Uh, don't forget your shirt," Miguel speaks, grabbing the white shirt from the couch and holding it out to the girl. "Oh, right. Heh," Selena chuckles, taking the shirt. Whoever is at the door knocks again, so the boy walks over to it with Selena on his tail. He opens it, revealing Johnny on the other side. Sadness fills his body as his eyes fall upon his sensei, remembering how he got in trouble for digging into his relationship with Robby.

"Hey, Sensei, what's going on?" he softly voices. Before Johnny could respond, Selena walks up behind the boy, making him turn around. "Oh, uh, sorry," he apologizes, opening the door more to let the girl pass. Johnny freezes when he spots her. Her presence further reminds him of what Kreese told him earlier:

"I guess it's good you still got that Mexican," Kreese remarks before leaning off of the car and walking off. "Miguel's from Ecuador," Johnny corrects him, turning around to open his car door. "Six of one... Better hope that LaRusso doesn't sink his mitts into him, like he did with your first Mexican," Kreese responds. Johnny feels his stomach turn at this.

"Rosalía's Salvadorian," he corrects him again, not bothering to turn to look at him. The old man shrugs. "What's the difference?" he comments amusedly before sticking his cigar into his mouth and sauntering away. Johnny just stands there with a small frown on his face. Maybe Kreese has a point. What if Daniel takes another person he cares about from him?

Selena grins at Miguel before turning her attention to the blonde man. This is so weird to him, he's seen her before but never came face-to-face with her. The way she looks so much like Rosalía still boggles his mind. Selena saw him at the tournament and is aware of his past with her parents, so having him in front of her is strange for her as well. "Oh, Sensei, this is Selena. Selena, this is my sensei, Johnny Lawrence," Miguel pipes up, gesturing between the two. The girl grins politely at the man. "Hi," she kindly voices, waving at him. Johnny doesn't return the smile, he just gazes at her blankly. "Hi," he responds.