Chapter 16

Chapter 16

With Thomas safely in his bed, all the Sides seemed focused on the Duke that was still on his knees scooping up the broken pieces, being too quiet for a facet like the Intrusive Side. Patton cradles the cracked half of what remained of Janus's Core close to his chest afraid of gripping it too hard. Logan still had a hand on the Moral Side, knowing the Patton was barely containing his emotions. Roman was had a still frozen, wide eyed Virgil in his arms, rubbing soothing circles on his back, trying to bring the Anxious Sides out of his frozen state. Around them the walls began to groan and seemed to bend inward toward them. A force none of them could resist had them spiraling, with darkness taking their vision from them, only to part with them safely in the Light Sides Common room. While shocked at practically being spat from the Dark Sides, Remus finally stood up to his feet, wild eyes landing on Patton's hands.

"Give him to me." He demanded, taking a threatening step to the Dad Side.

Almost immediately Logan and Roman; still holding tight to a still Virgil Jumped in front of Patton blocking Remus's path. "Remus, perhaps we should all sit down first and calm down. Patton will not let anything happen to the Core piece." Logan placated.

Remus gritted sharp teeth and stood nose to nose to Logan staring right into his eyes. "Give. Him. To me." He said again, slower and darker, and not breaking eye contact. His other hand holding the shattered pieced.

He and Logan kept eye contact for what seemed like an eternity but was really just a few seconds, before Logan let out a defeated sigh and turned to Patton. Roman holding his hand that was not holding onto Virgil, out to continue to withhold his brother from advancing with Logan's back turned.

"Patton?" Logan said, placing his hand back on the Moral Sides shoulder. Patton lifted his face to look at Logan, with his face red with tears and snot on his face. His fingers curling protectively over the Core piece in his hands. "Please, Patton." Logan asked, holding careful hand out.

The Dad Side pulled the Core piece close for a few seconds, before letting out restrained sobbed, and carefully giving it to Logan. The Logical Side, gave Patton's shoulder a gently squeeze before turning back to the Duke who was staring with a dark look in his eyes, and held his hand out for Logan to give the Core piece to him.

Logan was careful as he transferred the cracked half to Remus's outstretched hand. And as soon as the Duke had the piece, he turned, and ran up the stairs. Leaving the Light Sides to watch, and all of them flinched when they heard the sound of his door slammed shut. "I'll check on him later." Roman said, trying to lead Virgil to the couch.

The Anxious Side began shaking his head. "It's my fault. I let him slip through my fingers! I killed Janus!" He started sobbing.

"It was an accident. Virgil don't blame yourself. We all had a part to play in all of this. This falls on more that just you." Logan tried to comfort, he had Patton sitting and was now trying to help Roman get the Anxious Side to move.

Virgil unable to resist two people pulling his forward, let himself be led and sat down. As soon as he sat his eyes got wide."Remus is going to dismember me. He's going to come after all of us, isn't he?!" He looked still shell shocked with watery eyes at Roman and Logan.

"Nonsense." Logan shook his head.

"Yes he will and there's no one to stop him! Janus is the only one he will ever listen to. Janus is the only one to help keep him reined in. And the Dark Side. There's no one to keep it contained. We don't even know if he was able to actually seal it away, before- before- Oh, my God!" Virgil gasped out for air, that seemed to vanish from his lungs, sobbing into his hands.