Chapter Three - An Unexpected Friend

*BANG*
I hear the makeshift alarm I set up hit the floor and I wake up. I go to my closet, put on my usual outfit and make my way down stairs. I walk into the kitchen and get myself a bowl of cereal, I finish it fast and race out the door. I go the usual path to the clearing with water for Oak Tree. Normally I would water Oak Tree and sit on the swing all day, but today I walk up to Oak Tree and see... a girl, on my swing. Why is she here? I didn't think we had neighbours for miles and why would they be on my property? She looks about my age too, should I confront her?

The girl's POV, a few minutes earlier

Is that a swing? I didn't know we had neighbours, actually that makes sense, I did walk, well run, for hours and probably for thousands of miles. Oh well, it looks handmade, it could be fun, just for a bit. I sit down on the swing and admire the handmade wooden swing. After a few minutes of just waiting around on the swing, I see a boy, around my age, come walking up and look confused. He's probably confused on why I'm here; I'm confused on why he's wearing a purple hoodie. Then he starts to walk closer to me.

Back to the boy's POV

She's looking at me confused and I walk up to confront her, but she talks first. "Nice purple hoodie." She says, giggling a little. I just stare at her confusion written all over my face. "It's blue?" I say confused. She looks at me and laughs. "What?" I say still not understanding it. "Sorry, I forgot, I'm colourblind, I should have known that I wasn't seeing the right colour." She says laughing. "Oh sorry, what's your name?" I ask, trying to change the subject. "Violet." She says then looks at me, as if to ask my name. "Oakley." I say to her. She nods and says, "is that why you're wearing a blue hoodie, blue sapphire." She must be good with names, as she knows the meaning of mine. "No wonder you saw it as purple, Violet." I say as I try to fight back laughs. She looks at me with a look of annoyance and says, "Ok, whatever you say, well fine how about, how old are you?" I stare at her for a moment before replying, "12." She doesn't look very surprised to hear that and she says, "me too. When were you born? I want to know if I'm older." "March 2010." I say, hoping that she's younger. "HA, November 2009! I'm older!" She exclaims through laughter. Well, that didn't go as expected. She stands up from the swing and walks over to me. "Do you live around here? Can we go to your place, mine's quite far." She says and I just nod. She pulls down her hood from her hoodie and I take a moment to notice her features, she is skinny and pale skinned, with brown hair and blue eyes. She has faint freckles and is dressed in light blue denim shorts and a black hoodie. I realise that she asked me a question and reply, "Sh-sure, umm... my house isn't far." I stutter and I start to lead her to my house. We run through the forest, over the hill, but we stop at the flower field. She looks around and says to me, "Why are most of them the same colour? What can you see?" I remember that she's colourblind and start picking up flowers naming colours, she keeps looking at me surprised and saying "Really?" it's quite hilarious.

It's dark outside and we run around the side of the house and in my front door. "This is where you live?" She asks. "Yeah." I reply, slightly confused as to why she would question where I live. "Are your parents at work?" She asks, she sounds like she's scared, why would she be scared of my parents? "No?" I say and she starts panicking. "What's wrong?" I ask. "What do you mean what's wrong?" She says as if I know something I don't. "One, why are you scared of my parents, Two, they aren't here and never will be so don't worry." I say still confused and now slightly sad thinking about my parents. She takes a deep breath and let's out a breath she was holding. "One, I'm scared because my parents are alcoholics, that's why I'm here, I ran away, Two, what do you mean they aren't here and never will be?" She says as tears cloud her deep and questioning, blue eyes. "They left, when I was four, they aren't coming back." I say as tears escape her eyes and fall down her cheeks, onto the floor. "I'm sorry."  She whispers, hugging me tightly. I bring her up to my room and make a makeshift bed for her to sleep on, out of old bed covers I found under my parents old bed. I feel bad, I don't have much to give her, but she smiles and thanks me, then she lays down to go to bed.

Author here, sorry I know it is boring but it has to start boring to get interesting, this one is a little bit longer than the other ones, yay, proud of my work, have a great day/night and look after yourselves! See you soon 😊

875 words