Chapter | 11

On Saturday afternoon Grayson, William, and Asher came to visit and see how I was doing. When I had opened my phone earlier this morning I was met with over 100 texts and missed calls from them. Even Lindsay had tried to get ahold of me, which surprised me a little. I guess I knew she cared about me, but I didn't think she cared that much about me. I felt my heart swell with some unknown emotion when I opened Snapchat and was met with 10 new messages from her.

They were all so worried about me, and I felt bad. Here I was again causing the people closest to me to be in pain and worry about me.

From the minute they walked in I could sense the fear and worry that they were all feeling. They all just stood at the threshold of my hospital room their eyes wide as they took in my current state. I was sitting in the gigantic hospital bed, propped up with at least 3 pillows, hooked up to what felt like hundreds of different machines. I sat there wringing my hands nervously while they continued to stare at me, the silence becoming almost deafening.

"Hey, are you feeling better?" Grayson asked, finally snapping out of his daze and walking over to my hospital bed, taking a seat in one of the empty chairs next to me.

To tell you the truth I wasn't necessarily feeling great. My whole body felt achy and weak. The doctors said that it would take a couple days for me to recover and get all my strength back, but I didn't want them to worry about me anymore than they already had, so I just nodded.

"You sure? You don't look so good." William said, receiving a slap upside the head from Grayson, who was sitting next to him. William let out a small groan as he rubbed the side of his head.

I was about to protest and tell them I was fine, but I was cut off by Asher jumping onto the bed and enveloping me in a bone crushing hug. I bit the inside of my lip to keep from crying out as pain shot through my body while Asher squeezed me even tighter.

"We were so worried about you, don't ever do that to us again! Got it?" He asked pulling away and pointing his finger at me accusingly, glaring at me.

I smiled. He was trying to be all tough and scary, but I could see the worry and fear in his eyes through the glare.

"Really I'm fine guys. You don't need to worry." I said, shaking my head, giving them the biggest smile I could muster.

Grayson looked over at William and Asher, having a silent conversation with his eyes.

A look of understanding passed over William's face as he quickly stood up. "Come on Ash let's go get some coffee." He said, grabbing Asher's arm and pulling him toward the door.

"What? Why?" He asked looking back over at me for a second before focusing his attention on William.

"Because I want coffee. Come on let's go."  William said practically dragging him out of the room.

"But—" And that was all I heard before the door shut behind them leaving just me and Grayson.

Grayson moved his chair closer and stared at his hands for a second before taking a deep breath and speaking.

"Listen Nol," He said quietly. "You're not fine. We can all tell."

"What are you talking about?" I asked, even though I knew exactly what he was talking about.

"You know what I'm talking about." He said, letting out a frustrated sigh.

"I don't—" I started, but he cut me off.

"Cut the crap Nolan. We've been best friends since kindergarten. Did
you really think I wouldn't notice the way your smile doesn't reach you're eyes? Or how you winced when Asher hugged you?" He paused, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath. "I just—I just want you to know that I'm here for you. If you ever need someone to talk to about anything I'll always be here."