9: Lab-Tech

Annabeth POV

"You're late, Jackson. Punctuality is important in missions like these," I affirmed. I watched as the young man climbed into the back of the empty jeep. He simply sighed and rolled his eyes while sitting on the floor. 

"Don't be so uptight, Wise Girl," Percy cooed. 

I glared at him while the others chuckled at our argument. Everyone is used to constant bickering at this point. Percy and I simply can't sit in silence. We're always finding something to argue about. 

"Why can't you guys just get along?" Thalia asked. She shook her head in disappointment while Percy just smirked. 

"I'd be happy to get along if he wasn't such an idiot. Even today, it's him that started the argument with a clever (subtle) insult," I explained. 

"You're the one that's ragging me about being late," Percy countered. "Besides, I'm not even the last person here. Beckendorf and Silena are still yet to arrive."

"THEY ALREADY LEFT," I snapped. 

"ALL RIGHT. THAT'S ENOUGH," Luke ordered. Everyone turned to him as he approached the truck with a  few extra weapons. "I can easily dismiss someone if you guys can't get along. We can't be fighting outside the perimeter because zombies will make it very dangerous. Keep your heads on straight." 

"I'm always straight," Percy muttered. I glared at him. 

Piper and Jason chuckled but used their hands to hide their smiles. Meanwhile, Thalia continued to reprimand us. Charles and Silena took a different truck out before us. Luke is driving this jeep upfront. Jason, Piper, Percy, Thalia, and I settled in the back. Nico and Bianca stayed behind to fortify the camp after we leave. 

This is the standard protocol for raids. Since today is going to be a large haul, we need more people to assist. Regardless, we always leave a few guards behind. 

Luke drove out of the perimeter. I was standing in the back, and I watched the di Angelo siblings and Leo quickly secure the traps again. Before long, the museum melted behind the trees of central park. 

We drove too quickly for zombies to get near us. 

The wind ruffled my hair wildly as we drove through the park. We left early in the morning, and the goal is to come back by nightfall. 

I finally sat down on the jeep's floor. 

Jason and Piper were talking quietly in the corner. Thalia was organizing weapons on the trunk floor, and Percy was helping. They were talking about which weapons are the best against zombies. 

"I'm just saying that nothing beats a gun," Percy said. 

"I highly disagree," Thalia stated. "A gun is useless once you run out of bullets. Meanwhile, staff or spear is always helpful. Plus, the length of the weapons keeps a good distance between yourself and zombies."

"Yes, but they're harder to use," Percy argued. I rolled my eyes, but he noticed. "You have something to say to me, Wise Girl." 

"Yeah. Stop calling me Wise Girl," I huffed. 

Percy smiled mischievously. "No can do, Wise Girl. Once I settle on a nickname, it sticks. I can't erase my mind you know?"

"Considering there's nothing in that head of yours but seaweed, I find that hard to believe," I expressed. I crossed my arms. "Seaweed Brain."

Percy gasped in horror. He clutched his chest in fake hurt. "I can't believe you'd insult me like this. You know how traumatizing it is for bullies to make fun of the innocent people of the world. I think I'm gonna cry."