chapter 20 // tan

I threw my legs out, stretching out amongst the backseat. I put my hands up behind my head allowing my laptop to rest on my stomach. I took a deep sigh and I focused on the codes scrolling across my screen.

This had been easy, too easy. But, we knew that Gianni wasn't very smart, therefore it would be easy. There was nothing to worry about. I knew Haven would complete Sin's task but I didn't know what that meant for everyone else.

If Haven completed today, that would mean she had the possibility of becoming one of us. I didn't want Haven to fall into this lifestyle but I also didn't want to live without her.

Over the past few weeks, we had gotten close and she had became my safe place. All her jokes and laughs, it made me feel a sense of home. I haven't had a happy family feel since I was younger. The boys gave me a family but it was made up of trauma and crime, there was no room for happy.

We spent all of our free time together, exploring each others minds. I had gotten used to having a presence along with me now while I would work, someone to tell jokes too, and someone to fill my soul with healing.

A screeching beep filled my ears as I studied in closer, throwing myself up into a sit. Shit, we had been bugged. My codes were scrambling across my program meaning that someone tapped in and messed with the signal.

Im not going to lie, I didn't think Gianni would have someone focusing on tech so I slacked off a little bit. I should have created a stronger gateway but I didn't, causing an easy hacking system.

Therefore, Haven and everyone else was cut off from the system and there was nothing I could do to help them. All communication was seized including the tracking system. I threw the laptop to the side and let out a large sigh deep from my stomach.

It was typical protocol. If I could not get in touch with anybody on a mission, I would go in myself. Usually, I would cause a huge protest and wait it out for awhile before going in, but Haven was a different scenario for me.

I grabbed the keys to the car that sat in the middle console and hopped out. I looped around the back and popped open the trunk. Our trunk in the big SUV's was already pre-filled with items from guns to bombs.

I grabbed the tactical vest that hung onto the back of the seat, a AR-15, and a few knives just to pocket. I slung the gun over my back with the sling and popped down the trunk. My hand grasped my back pocket, pulling out my mask, and adjusted it onto my face.

My foot crushed into the front door, pulling me into the dark hallway. I stood for a few seconds, glancing between all the hallways. Con and Tan would meet up in the last room but Haven would still have to get through the middle door, I remembered from the map. That meant, if something did go wrong, Haven would be the most in danger. She would be alone compared to having a partner alongside her. My feet turned to the left underneath me and I trudged on.

I pulled my gun from my back, pushing into my hands as I brung my eye to the scope. My left hand rested on the barrel while my right was kept on the trigger. Everywhere my eyes went, the gun followed, peeking into each room.

I hadn't known this place was so abandoned, there were slot machines and old stripper rooms littering the hallway. It reeked of past livelihood while an emptiness filled the void. I should've put on a N-95 mask for the way this place looked, it was probably crawling with diseases.

It had felt like I walked for hours and I hated walking. It was so unnecessary when you had advanced vehicles and technology nowadays. It's the same way when you see people riding actual bikes or scooters, electric transportation devices were created for a reason.

My ears perked up as a voice caught my attention. You could have heard a pin drop in a building like this which meant you were on constant alert. I rounded my back towards the wall right before the corner. I held the gun close to my chest, waiting for another sound. There was large skylight windows above giving just the right amount of light.

"This ones going to hurt more than the last, little one" I heard a deep voice mutter.

No sounds followed but I knew, my gut knew. Haven.

I threw my gun's barrel around the corner, closely following behind it. The view changed to a door with a large figure standing in between it. He wore all black with a ski mask, his back towards me. His legs stood apart, letting me in at a glance at Haven's back sitting in front of him.

My next moves were swift and clean, trying not to drag enough attention. I brought the gun's scope up to my eye, ready to take a shot before he collapsed to the ground. I glanced down realizing I hadn't even taken the shot yet.

My breathing got heavier as my eyes pulled away from the scope and into the doorframe in front of me. Haven had rolled him over her back, killing him with his own gun. I sighed in relief while I watched her try out the gloves.

Princess, many will come for you now. I will lead you to the top of my castle. Take my hand, dance with me in the fire while the enemies drop dead.