You forced out a laugh with her. "Yeah, I have no idea why." You said as both of you made your way towards the cashier.

You were dejected, deflated, unmotivated, disheartened, whatever sad adjective you know in your vocabulary. Your smile was upside down the rest of the day and even the movie night wasn't cheering you up.

"Here, I got the drinks again. Have them." You pass the keychains to Yelena who was confused about why you seemed so down. You couldn't hide the dullness in your eyes and you had the biggest smile that you were unable to hide when you went out but it was gone. She looked towards Natasha and nothing was wrong with her, she wasn't mad or anything so she assumed it was nothing to do with you and Nat.

"Y/N-" She said, but you'd already walked away without waiting for her reply. You changed into your comfy oversized hoodie before snuggling deeper into your duvet. You just wanted to sleep the sadness away.

Yelena watched as you went up to your room as Natasha was still putting the drinks in the fridge to keep it cold for later. "Natasha, what happened when you were out?" She went to approach her sister.

"What happened? Nothing. We went to buy snacks and came back." Natasha didn't sense anything wrong. You didn't spend that much time outside to have anything turn you sideways.

"But you saw how she was."

Natasha thought back of the trip in chronological order and tried to think of anything that could have made you sad. She remembered up to the point when you were still happily talking to her and introducing her to the drinks...

"After she got the drinks, she changed slightly I guess."

This clicked something in Yelena's mind. This was part of the pros of exploring the world unlike her sister who was stuck being a hero. She was able to understand more of what it was like being a human, a person who can't even fake being confident or happy. As much as Natasha hates to admit it, she thought that being a hero tied her down a lot. She was unable to be herself out there, people automatically assuming who she was, no matter good or bad. She wasn't allowed to try to be herself out there.

"Until you can figure out why she gave this to me, you're not allowed to give it to her." Yelena said before placing them in her sister's palm who looked curiously at her. She wanted to ask what was going on but Kate whisked her away before she could ask.

Left with the keychains and not knowing what to do, she shrugs her shoulders before placing them in the pockets, leaving to think about it as it comes.

Natasha tried bringing your mood up during the movie but you just hugged her close and did not say anything. You couldn't really be mad at her when it really wasn't her fault. She was never a person who carries accessories around. She could tell something must have set you off during the trip to the store as you were so excited for the movie earlier. But now, you weren't even touching the chips you bought from the store, the whole point of going out.

---

Tony invited Peter to come over since he wanted to show him some of the upgrades he got for him. After taking Peter under his care, he spends most of his energy making sure the kid has the best upgrades, to have the best chance.

"Hi! Y/N!" He waved when he saw you walking towards the lab as well. You smiled and waved back to him, walking together towards the lab.

"Oh! That's right, I remembered something." He reached towards his pocket and pulled out the keychains you had in your mind days ago. "I thought you'd like it." He passed them to you but you looked at them hesitantly.

"It's nice, but I'm not into this kind of thing. Perhaps you can give it to MJ?" You forced a smile and suggested, knowing his crush on the girl.

"Oh... I thought it matches you since you're so pretty."

Unbeknownst to you, Natasha was standing and watching you from behind. She was about to approach you until Peter started talking about the keychain. Concealing her presence, she listened to the conversation between you and Peter. She could see how your smile was forced when the topic turned to the keychains.

She went to find you when you were lounging on the couch, resting your head on the arm rest and taking up the entire couch. Natasha stood at the end of the couch and bent over to let her face come into view upside down and you reached out slightly to kiss her.

Natasha came over and you did a sit up, allowing her to sit where you were before placing your head down on her lap. She started stroking your head and playing with your hair while planting kisses every few minutes.

Something dangled from her hands which caught your attention. "Yelena gave them to me. I was thinking we could have one each?" You took a better look at them and realised it were the ones you had picked out the other day. You looked at her like she was another person.

"I thought you didn't like them." You mumbled while keeping your hands to yourself.

"Perhaps I could keep it on the inside of my bag? So it doesn't drop out and get lost." She said, ignoring your comment. You didn't say anything so she took your phone and helped you put it in your case. "You should have just told me you wanted to get matching keychains. I wouldn't mind."

"I didn't want to force you to do something you weren't comfortable with."

"Baby, anything I do with you, I do it wholeheartedly. Even if it is illegal."

You turned and buried your face in Natasha's stomach, trying to hide the smile that was growing on your face. Nat noticed what you were doing and started dancing her hands around your waist causing you to squirm away under her touch but failing to do so as she has a strong arm around your waist.

"Nat! Nat! Stop! I can't take it anymore!" You shouted before taking a deep breath after Nat released you from her grip.

"I love you, remember that." Nat cupped your cheeks and looked at you directly in the eyes, showing her overflowing sincerity.

"I know, I love you too." You reciprocated by kissing her on the lips and went back to rest your head on her lap, watching the remainder of the show.

Written on 14 April 2022
Posted on 6 Sept 2022

Inspired by Horimiya anime/manga