Still here with me N.R

You were fortunate, the bullet struck your brain but you were not dead. However, it came with a price, the doctors were not able to get the bullet out as it was really close to the nervous system and has a high risk of failure.

No doctor was willing to take this risk, furthermore on an Avenger. Such surgery was not the expertise of Bruce, so you weren't able to count on him.

Currently, you were laying in bed while Natasha and Bruce were talking to the doctor-in-charge for the next alternative plan. You were able to listen in to their conversation but all you were able to receive was that you only had two months to live if the bullet was not taken out.

"It's best if Ms Y/L/N stays in the hospital so we are able to give her the care she needs." Doctor Charlie explained. "I can refer you to a neurosurgeon but his schedule is quite packed." He continued.

Bruce continued talking to him while Nat came to your side. "Where do you want to go?" She spoke softly as she stroked your cheeks and brushed your hair back.

"I want to go home."

"Alright. We'll do just that." She kissed our temples before returning to Doctor Charlie.

---

You honestly felt like nothing was wrong with you. Sure, in the back of your mind, both figuratively and literally, you know you were not as fit as you once were. You sometimes hindered yourself, tricking yourself into thinking that you couldn't do things that you actually still can.

Natasha was not complaining about that, she rather you rest and not hurt yourself any further so she could be with you for the entire two months or even longer. But things didn't go as she wished, she still had missions to attend to which meant leaving you alone in the compound.

She tried talking out of it with Fury but he wouldn't budge, he needed his best agent in the field and he wasn't going to allow Nat to back out just because you were injured. You looked fine in his eyes.

You also persuaded her to go saying. "I want to experience it through you. I want to listen to your stories when you come back." It took a few more persuading as she was really worried about leaving you in the compound. Nat kept reminding the rest of the team, mostly Wanda, Bruce and Steve as the rest were useless at taking care of others, to keep an eye on you to make sure nothing goes wrong.

"I don't care about the repercussions. Call me if anything goes wrong." Nat said once again before boarding the quinjet with Clint and Bucky.

"I got it. Stay safe." You said as the door closed behind her.

You let out a huge sigh which everyone heard when the jet took off. Sure, you urged her to go on missions, but you were also very lonely without her. It's just different without her no matter how Wanda tries to be by your side and cheer you up.

Wanda POV
It was supposed to be a short mission, meaning Nat should come back at night or midnight latest but there was still no news from her. "Come on Y/N... you need to go to sleep. It's not good if you stay up so late."

"It's fine." Y/N said as she took a sip of her energy drink while watching a movie that was playing on the TV.

"It's not fine. Nat is going to kill me if she realises I allowed you to do that. Do you want me dead?"

"Fine..."

I took the energy drink away from her and guided her to bed. I guess she was already feeling tired as she slept pretty quickly after her head touched the pillow. I waited a few more hours hoping to see if Nat was coming back anytime soon but I too fell asleep waiting.

Natasha POV
The mission ran overtime and I was absolutely furious. I was supposed to be at home cuddling up to my girlfriend at this time but because of a misstep from Clint, we ended up being ambushed and had to fight our way through a bunch of agents.

I rushed through the gates of the compound into the dark room where everyone was asleep as expected. Wanda was sleeping on the couch so I covered her with a blanket before heading up to find my girlfriend sleeping too.

"Hi, I'm back." I whispered next to her before kissing her cheeks and getting under the cover with her. She was sleeping so soundly that she didn't feel that I pulled her closer and placed my head above hers, inhaling her scent, finally we were both safe with each other.

The next morning, I woke up and Y/N was squinting her eyebrow and shaking. Sleepiness vanished immediately and I sat up and checked on her. "Y/N. Y/N." She was unable to reply and clearly in pain.

Shit. I went to find Bruce for help and I must have made a lot of noise as Wanda and Steve came running out. "Check on Y/N! I'm getting Bruce." I said while running through the hall.

Bruce took his equipment with him and went to our room where Steve and Wanda were trying to ease the pain in whatever way they could but it proved to be useless as she seemed to be in even more pain than when I left her as she's now clutching her head in between her arms.

Y/N doesn't seem to be responding to Bruce so he decided to sedate her in order to conduct a better assessment. Looking through the x-ray scan before having the diagnosis, I could tell it was not getting better from his face.

"Judging from the CT scans..."

"It's not getting better is it?" I interrupted him.

He let out a depressing sigh. "The bullet is placing a lot more pressure. I have already contacted the doctor Dr Charlie recommended but the next free booking is going to be three months from now.  Either that or we wait for Tony to build some precision tool we could use. Either way it would be a long wait  and Y/N case may progress faster than we expect."

Y/N was now back in our bed as there was nothing else Bruce could give her other than pain medication. I stroked her hair behind her ears as I remembered what happened that day.

It was a busy fight, everyone was scattered around taking care of their section while I was trying to get the files from the control room. Shots could be heard from outside and inside as everyone tried to clear their area of Hydra's agents.

"Team, get it done-" Steve stopped halfway. I didn't think much of it as he could be interrupted by fighting someone. Just as the screen turned green, I heard Steve speaking again. "Nat! Come here! Y/N has been shot!"

I ran with all my might and fired shots without looking much until I saw Steve carrying Y/N to a safer place behind cover.

"Bring her to the jet and fly back first, she's in critical condition."

I carried her to the quinjet and started piloting it immediately as Bruce tended to her. My mind was filled with all the negative stuff as my hands automatically moved to touch all the buttons. Once autopilot was set, I joined Bruce at the back and looked at my girlfriend.

"Y/N, you cannot leave me alone here. You cannot go." I said in desperation as Bruce tried his best to maintain her pulse and keep her alive. Her blood was all over the jet and things were honestly looking very bleak. "Y/N, please..."

I stroked her face and said. "I love you so much." I could still remember the feeling and anticipation waiting outside the operating room hoping the doctor would say she was alright. I spent a lot of time praying to god that I haven't spoken to for so long.

Even though it wasn't the best news, at least she's still with me here.

Written on 19 Feb 2022
Posted on 14 Aug 2022