Chapter 56

The duo arrived in front of the building Time showed them. It was only a fifteen-minute ride from their school.

The driver of the cab they got in asked why they were going out at class time. Aria reasoned they had to go to the address they gave him for a research project. Fortunately, he bought their reason and drove them to the place.

Then, they arrived in front of the multiple-storey building with the name "Oscar Apartment" plastered.

"This is it, right?" Aria asked, gripping her bag.

Pang nodded and hummed as an answer. "Let's find Korn."

They entered the apartment and started asking door to door if they had seen Korn as they showed anyone they passed by a picture of him. Aria kept her ears open, looking for his voice and steps and cancelling out anyone who wasn't their classmate.

Pang was done asking the third floor so he proceeded to the fourth whilst Aria walked around the third floor, looking for any sign of Korn.

There wasn't a sound from him in the lobby. Not in any rooms either. Their public bathrooms on every floor were empty. Even in the backyard, there was not a sound belonging to Korn. But she could feel someone peering in, looking at her. Aria shivered all of a sudden, but she tried to brush it off and continued looking.

She walked up to the fourth floor, Pang wasn't there anymore. He must've already asked everyone in the fifth floor. She tried searching once again, but to no avail. Korn wasn't on the fourth floor.

She walked up to the fifth floor to meet her friend.

"Pang-" Aria called, but froze on her spot with wide eyes and parted lips.

Her friend was facing someone who they thought had already disappeared from the face of the world long ago.

"Hey. We've finally met," that someone said.

"P'Chanon," the duo uttered in unison and disbelief.

"What are you doing here?" Pang was the first to recover between the two of them.

"I'm looking for the same person as you are," he answered ever so casually.

"Korn?"

"Yes."

"How do you know Korn? Where have you been all this time?"

"What do you need from him?" Aria butted in, finally joining their conversation as she walked to her friend. She was sure Namtarn would love to hear the news that they faced Chanon.

"How about this? Let's calm down. We can talk outside," he offered.

"But we need to find Korn quickly," Pang insisted.

"You're going around knocking on every door. You will spook him away."

"I can find him using my potential without knocking," said Aria.

"What makes you sure he's currently in one of those rooms?"

Their senior had a point.

"Follow me."

Chanon walked away, but the two remained standing, a little hesitant. They even had to look at each other, as if asking if they should trust him or not. But in the end, Pang followed their senior, leaving Aria no choice but to come too.

He led them in a car outside the building. It was parked not too far to make it hard to see who entered and exited the building, yet not too near either to make them look suspicious. Pang took the shotgun seat whilst his friend took the passenger, both of them being distant to Chanon and looking at him as if he was a ghost.