Chapter 42

What was happening? It was a question Aria had in her head over and over. But even if she tried to seek the answer within her head, she couldn't get anything. It was all blurred and incomprehensible, not to mention, painful.

"Let me go!" Pang yelled, the guards pinning him down on the small platform where the Director once stood. He craned his head up, he looked everywhere, and his eyes landed on his friend. "Aria! Go! Find Wave!"

But she just looked at him, confused. Her heart told her to do so, but her head wouldn't make her move. She wanted to help him, but a force was stopping her.

"You don't need to hurt him," said the Director. "He has no way to escape."

And so, the guards let go of Pang. His arms limped on his sides, as if they were numb. Aria could hear his tired breaths from running away from the guards.

Wave could hear everything from the speaker that he put on Pang. He could hear everything that was happening as he tried to open the locked door.

"And Chatmanee? She won't listen to you. In this room, she follows only me."

"What was that supposed to mean?" Aria, Pang, and Wave asked in their head, fear crippling within, especially to the girl whose head would explode if another question arose.

"Thank you, Pawaret. Oh, I must thank Wasuthorn as well. But I believe, Chatmanee has the biggest contribution to my success out of the three of you."

The two just stared at him in confusion. What did the three of them do, especially Aria, whom the Director claimed to give the biggest help?

"If she didn't tell me your plan, I wouldn't be able to be this successful."

What? Did Aria help him? How? Why? When?

None of the three could answer any of their questions, even Aria. So, she used her own balled hand to hit her temple to stop the throbbing pain and to look for an answer in her head.

Everything around her blurred and became inaudible. And there, she found it. In her pile of memories, the night when she found Wave cleaning himself in the infirmary alone. The night when he claimed he and Pang would bring down the Director.

Wave's phone rang. Pang was calling. Aria told him to answer the call as she herself had business to do. She stood up and exited the room.

Feeling the cold breeze, Aria hugged herself even more as she dialled a number; the Director's number. She turned to a corner of the room, away from the door and window whilst she waited for the Director to answer the call.

Aria wasn't making the call. It wasn't her. As if there's another person living in her head who was doing the betrayal.

"Good evening, Director," Aria said as soon as the old man answered.

"What is it, Chatmanee?" His voice told her she had just awoken the Director from his slumber.

"I'm sorry to disturb your sleep, sir, but I have something to report."

"It seems urgent. What is it?"

"Pang and Wave are conspiring against you, sir. They are planning to bring the system down."

A short silence reigned.

"Anything else?"

"I also heard Pang using his potential on Ms Ladda. He told her to inject us with the serum so our potential won't be used anymore."