3| the masked truth

A R K E L L

Up until an hour ago, Fort Mayne had been swallowed in a roiling tumult, the security system setting on and off on command, with Joshua planning on the biggest reverse play of the decade

I woke up to Mike clearing the air, my head aching like I was in a room of bells. Lucky enough, he was in time to finish the update and defuse the bomb on the third floor. As for Joshua, a couple of officers conducted him to the government reformatory, where he would be kept for a further inquisitory.

Meanwhile, the news of the intrusion spread like wildfire having the General of the Intelligence Council sit with us in the most oddly timed meeting of the day.

"So, can anyone explain me what happened?" He asked sitting at the head of the table.

I stared at the tired faces of the presents, not happy to have been called to work so early in the morning or not getting the chance to leave the place at all.

"A security breach," an Officer mumbled, his hands down the table and eyes wandering around.

"And how did that happen?" Wilson frowned with his dark, thick eyebrows, "Last time I checked... we hack people, they don't hack us back."

The tension in the room was so thick, that I could cut it with a knife. It was not an everyday thing to have our boss' boss scold us for the things we did wrong. Jack had his fingers crossed, sitting in the chair with eyes lost in the nothingness. He didn't mouth a word since we started.

"We had an infiltrator," Cavanaugh specified, setting the record straight. One of the Intelligence Agencies has let an intruder in, I could imagine it on the headlines of the New York Times.

Jack worked so hard to keep his head straight, but this was a clear inattention on his part. He would lose the reputation that proceeded him and probably his status as the Director of the NIA.

Anger boiled inside my head when I thought about the time I was at the underground, only a few meters away from the encroacher. At that time, I thought I could end this episode and throw it in the pile of victories I so proudly conserved. But life was everything but constantly winning. Like an iceberg, everything that didn't fit the agenda stayed at the bottom. Failure, losses, and hardships made the foundation stronger while the lucky victories and gold trophies stayed afloat. And there was no formula to predict the outcome of a given circumstance, at least not before it was already too late. I wondered how could I have ignored all the signs, but they were only visible afterward.

"So a stranger sneaked into the building and nobody noticed anything? Why do I keep surveillance cameras if they are of no use?"

"Actually," the senior guard of the department spoke, "He didn't enter the structure as a stranger. The badge detected at the entrance belonged to a guard and he was compatible for that shift."