cause you can hear it in the silence [ klayley ]

"Klaus, where are you going?" Hayley shouts at him, interrogating

Klaus not stopping, replies, "Oh you know, love, battling the crazy, putting my arse on the line, just another peachy day in New Orleans." He ends, sassily.

"Need any ... help?" She tries to ask.

"No, thank you, sweetheart, I'll manage." Typical of him. Not asking for help.

Hayley sighed. She wanted to help.

But whatever. If he could manage on his own then he can do just that.

She was in an alleyway. Somewhere. Maybe add the fact that she had just beaten up 3 vampires that seemed to have less than friendly intentions and quite frankly, were looking for a good dressing down.

She pulled her phone out and decided to call Klaus. Because something was definitely very wrong here.

"Uh, yeah, hey, Klaus. Listen, I am in the downtown of the city and with, you know, just my luck, I happened to cross paths with three very shady looking dudes dressed in black on my trail and let's just say, it wasn't pretty." She narrated, looking down at the bodies passed out in front of her.

"Are you alright, love?" Klaus asked, urgently. Wait a minute, was that... worry? She heard in his tone?

"Um, yeah, I'm fine, actually. It takes a lot more than a few measly vampires to knock me down." She replied, reluctantly. Caught off guard by the gentleness in his tone.

"Don't I know it, sweetheart? Just be careful, alright? We still don't know what Tristan is capable of so just—"

"It's okay, Klaus. I know how to take care of myself. Don't worry." Hayley calmed him down and eventually cut the call.

What's gotten into him?

The hybrid eventually made her way back home.

She needed a breather, honestly. Having this be her life now was still a lot to process. In and out, waking up everyday not knowing whether you're going to survive the next hour was a prospect she didn't lie, scared her.

But as someone who's constantly been thrown and kicked out from one place to another, she's adjusted. She's built up herself to fight back when she needs to.

"We're very similar, you and I. We both fight when we're backed into a corner [...] "

The memory came to her all at once. She'd realized that day that, try to hate him as much as she would but she couldn't deny it. Couldn't deny how similar her and Klaus really were.

It was like an akin fire that burned in both of them.

"Where have you been?" The abrupt voice of none other but Klaus came.

"... um, I told you, I went downtown." She said, getting up.

"You could've told me where you were, if you were alright, I was sick with—" Klaus stopped himself, after marching towards Hayley in a fit of frustration. They came face to face.

So close.

A/N: opinionsss?