your kiss, my cheek (i watched you leave) [ stelena ]

"—I'M TALKING about the fact that you're also in love with Damon." Stefan ended. His eyes were misty.

"What? No, Stefan, I just—"

He took her face in his hand, "Hey. I love you. I will always love you. I just want you to look me in the eye and tell me... that you don't feel something for him." His voice was a low whisper.

But his every word pierced through her heart.

She didn't know what to say. For the first time in a long time, Elena Gilbert was at a loss for words.

After a moment of extreme anticipation, "I... I don't know ... what I feel." She managed to stutter out.

There it was. Stefan bitterly thought to himself.

He needed to keep a grip on himself. Because he couldn't hate her. Couldn't hate her for feeling a certain way, couldn't hate her even if he tried.

But he hated himself. He despised himself for what he'd left their relationship to be. He'd left it — her — dangling over a cliff. Just like that.

With Damon of all people. But it was for Damon that he'd left. It was for Damon that he'd left behind the love of his life, his sanity, his humanity and everything he'd ever loved.

And he was paying like hell for it.

Stefan then reluctantly nodded, holding back anything he had on his mind, (because what was there left to say, anyway?) taking what he needed and leaving Elena alone in the room again.

God, she was so confused!

But why? It should've been simple. Clear cut. No hesitation. But it wasn't.

She thought she knew what (who) she wanted, didn't she?

She wanted to scream.

Her and Damon kissed at the motel.

Well, more than kissed. It was ... pretty graphic.

But it was ... it felt incomplete. Shallow. It wasn't that she didn't enjoy it. Because wow, she did. But it just wasn't...

"With Matt and I, we just, I don't know... we weren't..."

"Passionate?" His green eyes directly look at her.

"No. No, it wasn't passionate."

A few days had passed. Elena was successfully able to avoid Stefan for a little while because she just couldn't face him. Having to deal with Klaus didn't help. But she just resorted to keeping with the others.

"So, you and Damon, huh?" Her blond best friend remarked. Something about her tone told her she was not too thrilled about it.

They were in Elena's room for the time being, brainstorming what their next move needed to be in the next step of the plan. But Caroline's question caught her pretty off guard.

"Caroline, it's not—"

"Don't even try to deny it, Elena! I told you you were attracted to him — though I'll never understand how — but you blew me off and now you're screwing him?" Caroline practically yelled.