Chapter 2

The day of the American Music Awards had arrived and Y/n's entire team was running around making sure everything was ready to go. The musician herself was standing in the hotel bathroom studying her reflection in the mirror and making sure there was nothing out of place. Her hairstylist had pushed her short curls back and off her forehead for a more tamed appearance; save for one curl that was allowed to be free. Y/n wore a black button up with black suit pants and leather boots, but her stylist had added a shiny dark grey Armani blazer for a more modern appeal. She buckled her matching Emporio Armani belt and made sure to slip on her rings and favorite necklace that she had gotten from a beautiful jewelry store in Tokyo.

Y/n took a deep breath, allowing the sound of her soft meditation music to drown out the chaos she heard outside the door. This was her moment of peace, a time to reflect and thank the universe for her opportunities. She felt fortunate to be doing what she was doing and having some time before stressful events to remember that she was only human helped to ease much of her anxiety. Her performance tonight would be her first since her return a little over a month ago, and the public hadn't heard any of her new music live yet.

The bathroom door opened and Jay walked in, clad in a classic black and white suit and heels, blonde hair slicked back into a high ponytail.

"Y/n. It's time to go. The car is here."

Y/n smiled at her weakly and turned around to lean on the bathroom counter, staring at herself in the mirror. She felt Jay's hand on her shoulder and looked up to acknowledge her friend in the mirror.

"You'll do great tonight, and even if you don't they all love you. You don't have to be Superman, just be the real you. Now go out there, and show them who Y/n Y/l/n is."

______________________________

The screams of hundreds of fans flooded her ears as she walked through the hotel doors surrounded by security. Y/n waved at the fans and even managed to sneak a couple of photos with some of them before security tugged her towards the awaiting vehicle.

"I'm sorry I can't stay longer! Thank you for being here, I love you guys so much!"

She got into the SUV and took a deep breath, a wide smile still plastered on her face. Jay looked at her knowingly and patted her shoulder, before turning back to her phone.

"It's crazy, isn't it? I never imagined that this...this is what my life would be like. I'm so incredibly blessed." Y/n said her thoughts out loud, her voice thick with emotion. She was being honest, she had never envisioned that she would be here. Y/n always thought that she would be stuck in the family cycle of becoming a doctor, her father not being thrilled when he heard his only child say she wanted to pursue music when she was twelve instead of attending medical school. But she had worked her ass off and now her parents were so proud of her. They supported her unconditionally, something she was grateful for. The musician stared out the window, deep in her thoughts, and listening to the sounds of Jay's fingers typing on her phone.  

Her thoughts was interrupted abruptly by the breaking of the car that had pulled up to the drop off area near the red carpet. Y/n could already see a number of celebrities arriving and making their way towards the bright flashes of the cameras, large crowds of fans and interviewers awaiting to get their chance with each star. She closed her eyes as she stepped out of the car, feeling all eyes turn towards her and hearing people begin to call out to her.

After taking pictures with a number of fans, she made her way onto the red carpet, letting the superstar trained side of her take over. The artist posed and turned each and every way, allowing the cameras to get multiple shots of her from every angle. It was only after she was done and turning away did she hear someone call out a very familiar name.