xi | Iron Mongers

•••

Mirai hid around her company's compound after the press conference. Mostly from reporters, Tsurugi, Tsukauchi and most importantly Akane.

A red Lamborghini pulled up outside the compound and Akane stepped out from the drivers' side. As she strutted towards the compound, she notices Kou leaning up against his car, smoking a cigarette.

"Where is she?" She asked.

Kou looked at her over his shades, blew out smoke and pointed towards the entrance door, "She's inside."

Akane nodded and took out her keycard and swiped it before opening the door after hearing a click. She enters and notices Mirai staring up at the giant arc reactor.

The redhead sighed and put her hands on her hips, "Well, that went well!" She stated, sarcastically. Mirai rolled her eyes and turned towards her.

"Did I just paint a target on the back of my head?" She smirked at the irritated woman.

"Your head?" Akane remarked, "What about my head?"

She strutted up behind the teen and glared up at the giant arc reactor, "What the heck do you think the over-under on the stock drop is gonna be tomorrow?" She asked, slightly agitated.

"Uhhh...optimistically, 40 points." Mirai shrugged.

Akane frowned, "At minimum!" Mirai nodded and looked down at the railing, uttering a small 'yep.' Akane sighed.

"Mimi, we're a weapons manufacturer..."

Mirai cut her off, "Akano, I just don't want a body count to be on our legacy..." Akane interrupted her this time.

"That's what we do. We're iron mongers. We make weapons-"

"It my name on the building by the way..." Mirai mummers, but Akane ignored her and continued.

"What we do keeps the world from falling into chaos."

"Not based on what I saw.." Mirai argued staring into Akane's eyes, "We are not doing a good enough job, Akane. We can do better and we are going to do something else!"

"Oh like what?" Akane resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Mirai glanced up at the giant machine in front of them being looking back at her Father's previous partner. Mirai didn't understand why Akane was so against this...

...They we're supposed to be partners. Just like her and Mirai's father once were.

"I think we should take another look into arc reactor tech..."

"Oh, come on, Mirai..The arc reactor, that's a publicity stunt!" Akane exclaimed, "That thing was only built to shut the heroes' commissions up!"

"It works." Mirai stated.

"Yeah, as a middle school science project." Akane sassed, "The arc was never cost effective. Your father and I knew that before we built it...arc reactor technology is a dead end...right?"

"Hmm...maybe." Mirai hummed, shrugging.

Akane stared at the teen, "Huh? Am I right? We haven't had a breakthrough in that in what? 15 years?"