『the prologue』

It was one of those days that Ambella liked.

It was one of those days where the palace was cold, just a bit below room temperature. It was one of the days that was just chilly, but not cold. The kind of day that gave the gift of wind and the promise of sunshine.

It was cloudy, but not too cloudy. Sunny, but not too sunny. The air would caress her skin, delicately kissing it and giving her little bursts of euphoria for every gust of air.

The kind of day that Ambella would imagine a wedding. It was a perfect day for a wedding.

This, today, was the kind of day that Cameron hated.

It was the kind of day where he would wake only to want to bury himself back in the covers, to be warm once again.

It was one of the days where it was both too cloudy and too sunny, patches of misery that are never even.

The days that even a single wind low would shake Cameron to the core and make him regret waking up. Angeles is much too north, much too cold in the spring.

Today was a funeral. An awful funeral.

And it was a Friday, of course.

For Eadyln, this day was exactly like the day she gave birth— both of her children crying and whining for her and her husband's attention.

She silently curses Eikko for ever revealing that they had a surprise planned for the twins.

"Between you and me, what is it?" Ambella leans into her father, to which he only looks down and shakes his head.

"It wouldn't be a suprise if I told you, nasu.

"But, I'm your favorite child!"

Eikko looks at Eadyln and Cameron from across the table to see if they are paying attention, and then winks at her.

"Eadyln." Their father clears his throat, nodding to her. Eadyln nods slowly, taking Eikko's hand underneath the table.

"Cameron, Ambella, you know how me and your father met, right?"

"Weren't you supposed to marry some other guy?" Cameron asks, before receiving a justified slap on the shoulder from his sister.

"Cameron!" Ambella scold, but her mother holds up a hand.

"No, Bella, he's right. But do you know what happens when someone in our family needs to get married?" Cam and Ambella make eye contact.

Yes, they know, and they know exactly where this conversation is going.

"The Selection process." Ambella says, trying her very hardest not to play with her hands.

"Corr-"

"Yeah, but wasn't Dad not an option?"

"Cameron Maxon Schreave!"

"Sorry, sorry."

Eadyln clears her throat again. "Correct." She says, straightening up.

"And I think it's high time for you two to consider it."