However, if I want to cross the bridge, then I have to become a zombie. 

It's the only viable plan. 

I grabbed my backpack filled with water bottles, food, and weapons. I carried a pistol against my waist and held my knife. Then, I opened the cafe doors. 

Initially, I didn't move. I stood frozen in place. 

The zombies flooded into the cafe and spread through the room. A couple of them groaned while nudging me while passing. However, zombies are stupid. They pretty much didn't sense the human in me. 

Why would they? I looked and smelled just like them right now. 

I walked into the streets of New York. I kept my head high, and my senses were on high alert. This isn't my first time posing as a zombie. However, while walking in the open, you have to be cautious. Rule #17: when you're acting like a zombie, you don't need to walk like them. As I mentioned, they rely mostly on the sense of smell and hearing. 

I walked quickly through the large crowds of zombies. They all looked so different. I hated watching the young kid zombies. They're heartbreaking. 

A baby zombie (no more than a foot tall) was squirming near the gutter. I turned away quickly and kept my focus on the task. 

I passed a restaurant that slowly crumbled. Vines and foliage were slowly taking over the concrete structures, which weakened the foundation. Essentially, whoever build that restaurant relied on heavy maintenance. 

Since 96% of the population is gone, no one is maintaining anything. You're extremely lucky if you find a building with electricity these days. 

Finally, I reached my destination. A bridge going to Manhatten. 

The road ahead was filled with thousands of zombies. They were lazily moving across the bridge in both directions. Yup, if I wasn't posing as a zombie, I'd be dead in a heartbeat. I mentally complimented myself for surviving this long. 

I gulped a few nerves before entering the bridge. 

One zombie brushed my shoulder, which knocked the large intestine off my shoulder. the zombie growled while rushing toward me. I froze while the zombie sniffed my hair. 

It was a large, muscly zombie. I swiftly shot my arm up. My blade sunk into the zombie's throat and pushed up against his brain. Blood splattered over me as the zombie's carotid artery exploded. I retreated from the zombie and kept moving. 

While walking, I stared at the fields of zombies on the bridge. It took several minutes but had already made it about three-quarters of the way across the river. 

You're probably asking why I'm going to Manhatten. 

I'm risking a lot to get into downtown New York. 

Essentially, I want to see my home one last time. I know that my parents are dead. They died during the first wave on the third day. I was on a beach trip in Maryland. After the virus hit, we were on the phone a lot. I was trying to get back to them, but everything went on lockdown. The zombie virus spread like wildfire. 

Anyway, I was on the phone with mom and Paul when groaning and screaming echoed out of the phone. I sat there in horror listing to them become zombies. 

I never cried so much in my life. 

I'm going back to Manhatten because I want to see my home one last time. I want to grab a family picture from my home and take it with me. I want to feel the presence of loved ones again. I know that it's useless. However, it gives a purpose and a reason to keep going. If I don't have a purpose, then what's the point of surviving.