“Mr Walker,’’ she interrupted abruptly.

I sent her a deathly stare, or I think it was something like deathly, but she just smiled an innocent smirk back.

“Right, first I need to know if you have like… told somebody?’’

My gaze fell on the open door; Cameron took the hint and stood up to close it.

“Of course not, I’ve got no one to tell, not about something like this,’’ she said after closing the door.

I let out a breath I was holding, feeling as if a huge burden just had been lifted from my shoulders. But… who could possibly know then? And what about the note, who could have left it in my locker?

“Was it you then?’’

Her facial expression became bewildered for a moment, and as if someone just had turned a light bulb on she brightened up with a more understanding look.

“The note? No, I thought about doing something like that. But decided not to, since… you know, you’re my best friend,’’ she scratched the back of her head again, looking down onto the carpet.

Something clenched inside me and I smiled, it was nice to hear something like that coming from Cameron’s mouth. However... Cameron's expression seemed thrown off, guilty. She must have done it. I realized. I could kind of see why. She wanted me safe and breaking up with Michael made me safe in her eyes. She had after all done it hours after she found out, it was a rational and unplanned, with no bad intentions behind. I would forget about it. Although the last note left me confused. 

“You’re my best friend too. My life is just so messed up right now, and the fact that you don’t like Michael is making it all the more difficult,’’ I wanted to stand up and give her a hug, but first we needed to talk about everything with Michael and me.

The entire cosy thing can come after that.

“He’s a teacher Anna, I just can’t… accept it, in a way. And I can't accept the age difference, it's like 8 years,’’ she said while taking a seat beside me on the bed.

My mind was divided between forgiving Cameron and defending my relationship with Michael. At the same time the both options were screaming at me to pick them. I could choose them both; it didn't have to be this hard. I'll make Cameron understand!

“I really like him, more than anyone before,’’ the words left my mouth without hesitation.

My gaze was locked on Cameron’s face, studying her every move and reaction.  And I was pleasantly surprised when she didn’t look disgusted or angry, just plain frustrated.

“I understand, but that doesn’t make it any less illegal. He’s a teacher and you’re a student, besides, the age difference makes me sick!’’ she ranted.

I had expected her to say something like that, and surprisingly enough it didn’t make me angry, nor anywhere close to upset. In fact, I more or less understood her situation much better. And it all made me feel guilty, I ducked my head, staring intently down at my hands.