Part 3: Chapter 1

"Sir," said the guard, whose name was Werner, "I have come as His Highness commanded

"Sir," said the guard, whose name was Werner, "I have come as His Highness commanded."

Kirra nodded at him, and then quietly asked that he shut the door behind him for privacy's sake.

The two of them met in a room in the guards' quarters beside Adylia Palace. It was next to the horse stables, and near the accommodations for the knights. While not an ideal way to house the palace security, having this number of guards and knights was not normal for a residence typically used for vacation purposes.

And it didn't matter how many knights or guards we had during the ball, Kirra thought bitterly. Someone still managed to get through. That had been three days ago. He wouldn't be bothered if none of it had anything to do with Eiji. But it had everything to do with Eiji. If their security had been more competent, then the ball would've gone as planned.

Kirra sighed. Eiji wouldn't admit it, but he blamed himself. His master took his capabilities very seriously.

"I was told you questioned some of the intruders," said Kirra.

Werner nodded. "Yes, sir." He held in his hands a small stack of papers and gave them to Kirra. "We also prepared a small report."

Kirra took the papers and quickly flipped through them without reading any of it. "And?"

"Most of them have so far refused to talk."

"That's not surprising." But it was a little odd. Those intruders knew who was coming to squeeze information out of them, and yet they refused to talk? Wouldn't it be best to talk and save themselves the agony of torture? Eiji would allow them a swift execution if they did.

"We at least know they are from the anti-emperor faction," said Werner.

The anti-emperor faction? Wasn't that the reason Prince Alec was here? "Did they tell you that?"

Werner gave a wry smile. "Anyone who breaks into His Majesty's property is not on his side, are they?"

He had a point. While there were some who did not like the emperor, they would never pull something like this. They preferred to spar with him in the political arena. And they knew what it would cost them if they tried to do what those intruders had done. They weren't that stupid.

But the anti-emperor faction had come dressed like assassins. Had the emperor been their target? How foolish.

"Anything else?" Kirra asked. This reported began to bore him. This was an easy case to solve. They would soon know who the mastermind was, so there was no urgency.

"Ah... Well..." Werner rubbed the back of his neck.

Kirra waited patiently, but he folded his arms and tapped a finger against his arm. He had more interesting things to do today than pull minor bits of information from a guard, like watch Eiji twist himself into knots trying to say a single word to Princess Zemerri. Kirra pressed his lips together to stop his smile.