Part 2: Chapter 12

Adren slipped on his jacket and checked his appearance in the tall mirror

Adren slipped on his jacket and checked his appearance in the tall mirror. The tailor began putting his tools away, and the servants readied themselves to walk with their master to the ballroom downstairs. Two knights waited by the door.

The door to an adjoining room opened and Alec walked in. He had arrived earlier that day and had wasted no time integrating himself into the events at the palace. He had ridden on Niwe for the sake of speed, and although Adren had been suspicious of his sudden arrival, Alec quickly explained why he was in Aramore. The Emperor decided to let it go this time. If it meant putting down the anti-emperor faction, then so be it.

"I look forward to meeting the queen and princess," said Alec with his usual smile. "We're making history once again."

Adren had already warned him a second time not to mention the Starry Stones. Ever since Alec found out Eiji would be engaged to an Isterisian princess, he had shown increased interest in the Stones. He had been reading everything he could get his hands on, which wasn't much to begin with. All he needed now was one of the Stones to study, but that was impossible. No one would ever freely give him one. They couldn't be bought, and their quarry was closed to outsiders. The Voyager had given the Stones to the Isterisians as a gift and they were fiercely protected.

"It's hard to believe my little brother might be married soon," said Alec. He sighed wistfully. "It seems like only yesterday that he manifested."

"He will get married," the Adren said. "Not 'might.'"

"That all depends on him, doesn't it?"

There was no denying the truth in those words. Things were already looking a bit grim. The dinner with the queen and princess had not gone as hoped. Eiji ignored the princess the whole time, but Adren suspected fear might've been the issue. There was no shortage of beautiful women in the empire, and Eiji was not afraid to talk to them, but there was something about Princess Zemerri that had unsettled the third prince. Adren could only pray he would sort it out, and soon.

"Where is he, anyway?" said Alec.

Adren expelled a long breath. "He's making sure there's enough security around the palace."

"Is that really necessary?"

"He's distracting himself."

"Hmm."

Alec's thoughtful look was not lost on Adren. "He will dance with the princess to show everyone that we are serious about this." He directed a warning glare on the second prince, but Alec focused his attention on a button on his waistcoat.

"I worry the nobles will be rude to them," said Alec when he fixed the button. "Isterisian culture is very different from ours in many ways. Some people think they're barbaric."

"People are just afraid of what they don't understand."

Alec nodded in agreement.

They were interrupted when a servant arrived to say a visitor wanted an audience. Adren frowned. "If anyone wants to speak with me, they can do so downstairs," he said.