Chapter 6 | The cure

On the veranda, Yibo carefully transformed back into his human form. Zhan stood weakly on his feet for only a few moments before Yibo caught him in his arms and and rushed into the house with him.

Yibo took Zhan into the bedroom and laid him on the bed. He started looking for the injury on Zhan's head. Yibo suspected a head injury, because of the pool of blood he had seen in the cave. But then what Zhan told him afterwards, shocked Yibo.

"He bit me. ..." said Zhan in a low, trembling voice.

"Yunxi bit you?! ... Where?! ... Zhan, where did he bite you?" asked Yibo, terrified. At that moment he could hardly think clearly, he felt as if he were almost frozen.

"My neck..." said Zhan.

Yibo immediately grabbed the neck of Zhan's sweater with both hands and tore it almost completely in half. He then noticed the bloody bite mark on Zhan's neck.

"That son of a - ..." Yibo growled angrily.

At that moment, Yibo wanted nothing more than to tear out Yunxi's sharp teeth the way he had just done with Zhan's cloth. But from his dark thoughts, the sound of Zhan's suffering and painful moans brought him back to reality.

Zhan suffered more and more from the bite. All he could think about was the pain. Panic and fear overtook him more and more. He was terrified that he would soon turn into a werewolf, but what scared him even more was that he would be a monster's mate, forever. He gripped Yibo's hand in horror and looked at him, before the agony became hell for him again.

"Please, help me...!" - Zhan begged with tears in his eyes. - "I don't want to be his, Yibo ... I don't want to be his mate..."

As the pain intensified, Zhan closed his eyes and tears immediately ran down his face.

"Don't be afraid, I won't let that happen." Yibo reassured him, while he was equally afraid of what Zhan had said.

Yibo quickly rushed to the bathroom, then put a wet compress on Zhan's hot forehead and on his wound after disinfecting it.

"Zhan, hey, now look at me." said Yibo as he held Zhan's face in his palm.

Zhan opened his eyes with difficulty and looked at Yibo.

"You're going to get better, ... but first I have to go and bring it here." said Yibo.

Although Zhan did not speak, Yibo could easily read in his eyes as Zhan begged him not to leave. This almost broke Yibo's heart. He didn't want to leave Zhan alone either, but what was able to save Zhan, he had to do it, no matter how hard it was. Yibo's only luck was that it was near the house that he needed.

"I know it's hard, but please hold on a little longer, okay? Just a few more minutes and then this nightmare will be over. I promise." said Yibo quickly, which Zhan barely understood.

"Yibo..." said Zhan in a quiet voice, but by then Yibo had already disappeared from the room.

Zhan was thus forced to do what Yibo asked him to do and tried to keep fighting. But the pain did not spare him for a moment. Every second was an eternity of agony for him. Zhan felt his nightmare slowly becoming reality.

Again and again, he saw a wild black werewolf in front of him. Zhan saw fury in the wolf's red eyes as it snarled its sharp teeth at him. The wolf's grew louder and more lifelike to his ears. Zhan knew that this was not the nightmare but his dark future, and that the black wolf he saw was in fact him. He felt his body begin to give up. But soon before Zhan himself had really given up any remaining hope, he heard the sound of footsteps. He opened his eyes and was relieved to see Yibo standing by the bed again.

Vaguely, but Zhan could still see that Yibo was holding something green and purple, then black and blue, wrapped in a shawl, which he then put down on the bed.

"What are those?" asked Zhan.

"Wolfsbane." - said Yibo, revealing one of the ones he had brought. - "Although you are not a werewolf, I must prepare you now for the fact that this will not be painless for you." said Yibo. There was a hint of nervousness in his voice.

Yibo took the other scarf off Zhan's neck, then put all the leaves of the wolfsbane flower on it, completely covering the bite mark, and then pressed a longer scarf over it.

After only a few moments, Zhan cried out in pain again. The stinging pain he had felt before has now become a burning torment.

"It's too much!! ... Take it off! ... Please take it off!" pleaded Zhan in pain, but Yibo didn't listen.

Zhan could tolerate this for a short time. But then as soon as he tried to remove the bandage from his neck, Yibo immediately stopped him and held him down.

"No, no, ... let me go, Yibo! ... Let me go!!"

"Zhan, ... don't resist! This is going to help you, but you can't take it off your neck."

"It hurts! .. It hurts! ... It burns me like fire!" moaned Zhan.

"I know it hurts, but it won't last long. Just hold on, okay? Keep fighting." Yibo tried to calm him down.

After just a few minutes, Yibo began to feel that Zhan's resistance had suddenly weakened. So Yibo let him go.

Zhan eventually lost consciousness due to prolonged, unbearable pain and fever. The last thing he saw was Yibo sitting on the bed next to him, watching him. Zhan felt Yibo holding one of his hands the whole time.

-----------------------------

Thank you for reading! I hope you liked it! 🧡✨