22:

The next morning Chiara grimaced as the pain from her hand woke her up. She stumbled out of bed clutching her hand, trying to make it comfortable for herself as she made her way downstairs. Jess and Jake were already down there sitting on the kitchen table talking, while casually munching their breakfast and drinking some orange juice beside them.

"So, what time will you be back?" Jake asked while taking a spoonful of his cereal.

Jess had just taken the last bite out of her slice of toast, chewing on it loudly, before getting up and putting her plate into the sink. Turning around, she answered him. "I'll be back tonight, but probably late."

He nodded and gulping the last of his cereal, he got up and placed his bowl on top of her plate in the sink. Gently he gave her a kiss on the cheek and stood beside her chatting away in hushed whispers to her as she ran the tap and started washing up the plates and bowl.

After reaching the bottom of the stairs Chiara noticed a bag besides the front door as she walked into the kitchen. She thought about whose it might be for a second and then quickly brushed it off thinking nothing more of it, really being too tired and drowsy to even care.

Having reached the kitchen, she sat down at the table and watched them. She grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl in the middle of the table, taking a huge bite out of it.

"What you guys talking about?" She said, with her mouthful. They immediately stopped talking as soon as she entered the room.

Jess kept her back to her but raised one hand in the air, as a way to say 'hi'. "Hey Chiara. Sleep well?" She asked.

"Yeah, good thanks, how about you guys?" Chiara asked. Gulping down the bite of her apple.

"Were just talking about the...errands that Jess has to run today. She'll be back later on today though."

Errands? Why did he take so long to think of that? She thought.

"Errands? What Errands?" She asked taking another huge bite of her apple.

Jess and Jake looked at each other for a moment before Jake answered. "Just you're normal run of the mill, errands." He said with a coy laugh, seeming as if he's not sure of himself.

Chiara raised an eyebrow at him and leaned forward across the table, her arms crossed as she did with her apple now in front of her face. "Oh, yeah? What are run of the mill errands then, Jake?" She said, never breaking eye contact, and taking another huge bite out of her apple.

She could see his eyes dart across to Jess who, at this point, still didn't turn back to face either of them. It seemed like he was on his own. That was until Jess broke what seemed like an eternity of silence.

"I've got some jobs that need sorting out at dad's office." She said turning around to face Chiara with a shy smile. Chiara turned to face her now, her eyebrow still raised, she swallowed her apple hard.

"Like what?" Chiara asked.

Jess just shrugged. "Nothing exciting just some paperwork that i haven't filled out yet cos I've been putting it off."

Taking another bite of her apple she sat back in her chair. "Okay sounds good to me." She could visibly see Jake fall into himself as he breathed a sigh of relief, she smirked, and took another huge bite of her apple. She could see Jess give Jake a look out of the corner of her eye. Chiara brushed it off as a couple's thing.

By this point Jess had finished cleaning the dishes in the sink and had grabbed the nearest towel to dry her hands. She gave Jake a quick kiss on the cheek and waved Chiara goodbye, grabbing her bag.