come and show me that you're

with it, with it, with it, with it

the audience was straining to see the girls. as Lauren shouted "do you guys mind if we f-- it up real quick?!" and the girls jumped before twerking, yelling and cheering filled the entire room from the floor to the ceiling, nearly drowning out the music.

"I'M SO GAY," I heard a girl scream.

forcing my eyes off Lauren, I watched Ally and Normani pull off the rest of the dances and the girls hurrying up the steps to end the song.

give it to me I'm worth it

deafening screams filled the theatre and I placed one hand onto my heart, willing it to calm down. I told myself that I wasn't going to pay attention to figuring out what I was feeling, and I was going to enjoy the show.

the songs flew by, and all too soon, it was time for Brave Honest Beautiful. I was going to get my phone out to record the performance, when Jamie stepped forward and tapped my arm. I looked up, and he signaled to Big Rob, who was holding open the door leading to backstage. Big Rob beckoned to me, and curiously, I started for the door.

"tonight's show is a bit different. now, I'm sure you guys know this," Normani was saying. "but one of our best friends is called Lea-"

the crowd screamed. oh my god. were they going to get me onstage? I scurried through the door, Jamie following. I could hear the girls outside, although a bit muffled.

"Lea's actually at the show tonight, as you guys could probably tell from our instagram posts," Camila told them. the audience was cheering, so that was a good sign. I was led to the wing area, where the crew began to prepare an earpiece. I ran a mental check - most of the harmonizers didn't mind me, and some of my fans were harmonizers, so I hoped that nothing horrible was going to happen.

"so, alongside tonight's fans, we're going to bring Lea onstage. she doesn't know that we're going to do that, and-" Dinah leaned back to see me backstage, getting hooked up to an earpiece and microphone. I stuck my tongue out at her. "she's nearly ready to go, but she's a bit shy."

"can we make some noise for Lea?" Lauren asked, and my breath caught as my heartbeat started to fill my head.

"give it up for Lea!!!" Ally yelled, and the crowd screamed.

Lauren skipped over to me, took my hand, and whispered, "you're gonna do great, babe." then she dragged me out onstage.

I had no time to process that she'd called me babe as the room suddenly opened up from the tiny backstage area to the massive high ceilinged theatre filled with clamoring fans. Lauren brought me to Camila, who took my hand as Lauren let go. reluctantly I let Lauren skip back to her place, my other hand suddenly cold from the lack of contact.

"wanna say hi, cutie?" Dinah teased gently. the crowd "awww"ed at her use of pet name.

"hi," I said, bringing the microphone to my mouth.

more "awww"s. some girls in the front row shouted, "I love you, Lea!" and I smiled at them, giving them a little wave. they started freaking out, and I looked up at Camila, who smiled back at me before leaning her head on mine. the chosen fans for the night were brought onstage as the intro started playing. I loved the words, and I listened to them intently. near the end Camila leaned down and whispered, "sing my parts with me."

"sure?" I said.

"you must've gone deaf from the screaming," she said, laughing. "yes, I'm sure, you dumbs. don't worry, okay? it'll be fun."

my voice was a similar range to Camila's which definitely took some of the nerves away. from filling in for her at the Austin show last summer, I knew that I could make myself sound like her, so I willed myself to do that tonight.

the girls stepped forward as their names were called when the music started.

Lauren, they ain't ready for this

Normani, they ain't ready for this

Camila, they ain't ready for this

Ally, Dinah Jane, Fifth Harmony

Camila took my hand and started twirling to the music. the audience was shouting all the words back at the girls, and I saw the happiness radiate off Ally's eyes. Camila nudged me a little when it was time for our part, and we both raised our microphones to our mouths.

that you're amazing babe

you're breaking down in every way

could be smiling everyday

Lauren came in with her "you just gotta remind yourself" before Camila and I transitioned into the chorus.

you can dance like Beyoncé

you can shake like Shakira

cos you're brave, yeah

you're fearless and you're beautiful, you're beautiful

so whine like Rihanna

go and pose like Madonna

cos you're brave, yeah

you're honest and you're beautiful, you're beautiful, girl

singing with Camila was electric. it was also very strange, because usually my voice didn't sound like hers. but when I filled in for her that one time as well as tonight, somehow I sounded different.

don't know how beautiful you are

oooh, yeah yeah!

she twirled me around as we sang the next line.

you deserve your hollywood star

when Normani sang her lines, Camila bent down and whispered, "for the prechorus, I'll sing everything except the last line then you do the high note, okay? then we go back to singing together."

do Camila's high note? me?

"I'll try," I said, nodding slightly. she pinched my cheek before standing up straight and singing.

that you're amazing, babe

you're breaking down in every way

could be smiling any day

she nodded over at me, and I sang her high note.

you just gotta remind yourseeeeelf

the audience started screaming as I ended the note, and Camila immediately jumped into the chorus with a huge smile on her face. she pulled me in and I leaned towards her side, smiling widely as I joined in with her.