I don't know how much time went by, but eventually Dr. Monroe gently bent down next to me and said, "Great job staying awake Nolan. You're going to go to sleep for a little while now, okay?"

I gave her a tiny nod. Relived that I would finally get to sleep. She smiled while brushing a piece of hair off my clammy forehead.

"I'm going to give you this shot." She said holding the sedative up so that I could see it. "I want you to count down from 10 with me, okay? Do you think you can do that?"

I just nodded again, my entire body aching from the small motion.

"Good." She said as I felt a small prick on my arm that sent goosebumps crawling across my skin.

"Okay, 10, 9–"

"8–" I mumbled through the breathing mask.

"7, 6–" She continued.

"5-5..." I stuttered out.

That was as far as I got before the darkness pulled me under, my exhausted body welcoming it like a old friend.

*******

My eyes slowly fluttered open and I was immediately blinded by bright white lights. I blinked a few times trying to get my eyes to adjust to the light. When they finally did I scanned the room. I was in a typical hospital room, bed in the middle with boring blue and white sheets, a small table with a lamp in the right corner next to the bed, and a window located to the left of the bed. But what caught my attention was the person person sitting next to me.

"Oh my gosh you're awake!" Sophi said grabbing my hand and squeezing it, a look of relief appearing on her face. "How are you?"

I blinked a few more times, still feeling
slightly out of it. I tried to remember what happened, but I couldn't seem to get my brain to work.

"Tired. W-What happened?" I mumbled, the tiredness and confusion evident in my voice.

I had trouble forming the words in my foggy brain, and the breathing mask currently on my face wasn't making it any easier to talk.

She gave me a small smile, but it wasn't genuine and didn't reach her eyes.

"The doctor said you had some sort of reaction to the blood transfusion. She told us specifically what happened, but it was some big fancy medical thing with really big words that I can't remember. Anyway they were able to finish the transfusion, but they want to keep you here another day for observations. You're going to be completely fine though, —oh and she also said it might take a few days for you to regain all you're strength. Sorry does that make sense? I know I'm rambling." She said, blushing slightly.

It took me a second to process everything she had just said. My brain felt hazy and tired. Probably from whatever medication I was on.

When I finally sorted out all the the words that had just come out of her mouth, I slowly nodded to show I understood before asking, "What time is it?"

My gaze shifted over to the window. It was dark, so I assumed I had been out for awhile.

She looked down at her phone to check the time before looking back up and replying, "It's 1:00 right know."

My gaze snapped over to her, my eyes bulging out of my head. "In the morning?"

She chuckled. "Yes, and before you ask Nicole and Matthew are here too. They're just getting coffee downstairs, but they should be back soon."

As if on cue the door opened and Matthew and Nicole walked in. A smile appeared on Nicole's face when she realized I was awake, and before I knew it she was barreling towards me.