six

A/N: I've been stuck on the last eighth of this chapter for months, damn it. Anyway...

Song Recommendations
["Superhuman" - K.Flay]

 "There is no real going back

"There is no real going back. Though I may come to the Shire, it will not seem the same; for I shall not be the same. I am wounded with knife, sting, and tooth, and a long burden. Where shall I find rest?"

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

 Tolkien, The Return of the King

It was sometime around one in the morning when Maddie numbly walked the corridor of the apartment building, all of it still so new, tastefully decorated, gleaming despite the floor being laminate instead of real wood and the inconsistent paint str...

It was sometime around one in the morning when Maddie numbly walked the corridor of the apartment building, all of it still so new, tastefully decorated, gleaming despite the floor being laminate instead of real wood and the inconsistent paint strokes on the molding. It was a fancy apartment complex, but still an apartment complex, a shining reminder of the temporary nature of home.

The man behind her, just as careful, was basically a stranger. They had the same smile, and the same shaped eyes despite the color contrast. Pale blue at the end of the spectrum from her near black irises.

Her phone buzzed a million times since her discovery. Since the thing in the dark and the emergence of a long lost sibling, like something out of a dream. Maybe out of a nightmare.

They barely said two words to each other, and her lack of responses seemed to quiet his tearful questions.

When Stiles caught up, she didn't even bother to begin an explanation for either of them. All she managed was, "This is Jack."