Chapter 149: brought to you by freaky fish men

No one bothered to suggest a episode introduction. All attempts to encourage interactions between readers and authors are void and null. I...have failed. Lugia sinking through the water after being beat up by Moltres, Zapdos, and Articuno 'I....have failed.' Fo shizzle.

________________________________________________

Alone on a rare jaunt to the water, Neara wanted to test the strength of her new mark. Her muscles didn't feel bigger, at least she didn't think so, and she hadn't worked out since giving birth, so this was the perfect opportunity. She dipped the leather sacks into the water and let them fill up, feeling the cool water shift the sand beneath her feet. Maybe the ocean wasn't so bad-- it's not like she'd seen any sharks or had to go diving for the fish baskets. And Tony said he'd seen oxen nearby, so maybe they could domesticate cows and make butter soon. Her mouth watered. Butter. How long... too long. That was the only correct answer. Even making nut milk and trying to figure out vegan cheese didn't go in her favor. She had to idea what she was doing, and most of the time the only person brave enough to wolf down her experiments was a teeth-gritting Tony, although Winston tried his best.

A stronger wave nearly pushed her back and she hefted the yoke across her shoulders, testing the weight. Normally, this would be impossible. Now to find the limits. Orson's mark flared up first, a warmth in her shoulder echoed in her heart. She focused on herself, on her legs sinking in the sand with small pebbles scratching her ankles. Winston's mark was next, the heat melting into Aetius's half-formed mark and bumping against Tony's radiating from her arm. Then, a flicker near her collarbone. With a start, she realized this was from her-- her strength. Her power. She thought of shoveling that particular warmth over her body, overwhelming the others and letting herself take over.

The buckets came up easier than anticipated. Swinging the massive bags around, she spun in place, the adrenaline of her discovery making her laugh. Could she do it one handed?

"I finally found you." The words dipped at odd times in a clear voice and she fell under the water, power disappearing as fear lapped over her face with the waves. The yoke pinned her down, pressing against her throat as her feet pedaled against the sand, hands clawing at the cold air. They tangled in something slippery, but she grasped it and tried to pull herself upward, launching herself into a black mass of seaweed.

"Qin!" Another voice, sharp and surprised, bit into her ears as she gasped for breath. Something slid against her arm, firm and soft, but it failed to find purchase as she was swallowed by the black.

More threads brushed against her face and she pushed them away, only for more to fall into place. Flashes of blue and orange peppered the spaces where the clumps parted.

"She belongs to the Mermen Clan!"

"Nonsense."

Well, at least she could breathe, harsh gasps against her lips where the wet seaweed pressed, no matter how hard she tried to push it away. She felt herself getting tangled further and further, wet strands wrapping around her arms and legs as she struggled against getting pulled underwater again.

"Qin, I'll save you!"

All sound disappeared.

************************************************************************************************

"Well shit." Orson watched the spot where Neara's mark scorched his heart with fear. Winston stood by his side, waiting for him to make a move. Tony and Leopold were hastily shoveling sand into the ocean almost as fast as the waves took it away.

"Merman?"

"Probably more. Weakling pieces of filth that can't earn stripes to save their lives." Orson sneered and spat into the ocean. He couldn't hold his breath that long and his wool would just float him back to the top before he got to her anyway. Winston stood a better chance, but he didn't think anyone had the stamina to dive so deep. He studied the ocean floor, probing the little corners for an idea.