Chapter 50: brought to you by The Wolf and The Hare (who both lose)

Chicken and dumpling soup, a fight, a talk, and Rosa's cubs almost die. Again. Beware the toddler rampage.

Neara bundled up, her face flushed with effort. The dress got harder to pull over her bump every day, but she couldn't wait to tell Shay what had happened last night. Her babies kicked so hard, she almost fell over several times. Oh well, the Ape King had said they were strong.

Orson watched from bed, a bemused smile on his face. "You might be the clumsiest female or beastman I've ever seen. And I've watched Theo try to mate with you."

She blushed and fastened her cloak around her throat. "Shut up; you're just pissed because I haven't sent him away yet."

"And why shouldn't I be? He's obviously too good for you, yet he stoops to my level just to send a message? Unforgivable."

"You think I'm ugly?"

"Anyone with eyes shares my opinion, Neara."

"Shut up."

He stretched. "What do you want me to do again?"

"Feed the shortbirds and make a ton of rice. Also scrape the snow off the roof, otherwise we might have a cave-in. It's been snowing a lot lately... I wonder if Curtis is hibernating yet."

"I'd say I'm surprised he's managed to hold off hibernation this long, but with four marks, he has a lot of willpower. It won't be easy to get him away from Shay."

"You're right..." She finished lacing up the boots they'd made for her and twirled. "What do you think?"

He suppressed a gagging sound. "Fine. You look great."

"If I wanted to mate you right now, you'd throw everyone into the river, so shut your lying face."

Orson blushed and she walked to the fire.

"Hey Winston, are you going hunting today?"

He handed her a bowl of thick rice pudding. "Yes, I will make three kills today."

"Thanks! I'll eat it on the way." She scooped a steaming spoonful into her mouth. "Hasafasahasa." She breathed in quickly through her teeth, attempting to cool it although she sensed her tastebuds were long gone.

"You'll need an escort, right?" Theo bounded up to her side and grinned, grains of rice caught on the thick beard he had started growing.

"It's just a little ways away; I'm fine. I had Winston mark this coat so Tony wouldn't even think about coming near me."

"Well, what about Shuu? Can't I protect you from him?"

"Um... I'll deal with him if he shows up, but the Ape King seems to be needing the Wolf Clan a LOT lately." She sidestepped his arms and called out, "Have fun, guys!" then shut the door behind her.

The snow crunched under her feet and she grinned. Although the temperature was cold enough to burn her nose hairs, it felt wonderful. She always thrived in the cold weather and despite her large belly, this winter was no exception. The path to Shay's house wound through a multitude of small trees, but Neara had memorized the path, having gone through it almost once a day since Shay moved. With the exception of when Curtis twisted the trees together to signify coitus... she avoided here for a few days when that happened.

She passed the small cabin where Parker and Joseph slept, although neither seemed to be home today. At her knock, the door swung open and Ryan peered out.

"Neara! Shay was looking forward to seeing you! Please, come in." He gestured inside with an appreciative look at her belly. "I'm glad the babies are doing well."