Chapter 79: brought to you by I shouldn't have sat down

Whoops, accidentally pasted in the last chapter. I fixed. X.X Sorry bout that. There's just so many... On another note, updates are moving to every five days rather than every three. Live long and prosper.

_____________________________

The awkward was real.

Neara twisted up her fingers so tightly within one another they popped.

"Why were you lurking by the door?" she asked.

"I wasn't lurking. Someone has to guard you two."

"From what? Other rabbits?"

"...if need be."

Awkward took a seat between them and got comfortable.

Aetius noticed the flames crackling and the tips of his ears drooped a little. Just enough for Neara to see. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what? For saying I'm worthless or saying..."

"Sorry for everything. I... I misspoke." He looked at her, brown eyes full of feeling. "I still carry deep feelings towards my Clan and... and I don't know if what you're saying about Captain is real or not, I'm not sure I believe anything anymore, but you're not the kind of person to lie... so I guess what I'm saying is that while I don't believe you, I'll wait to make a judgement call until I have more evidence." He looked down at the fire and slowly sank to a squat. "Will you forgive me for speaking harshly?"

"A few minutes in the rain and you feel sorry?" The fire inside her hadn't quite died. "What kind of sick...Ugh, How do you expect me to believe you? You're outside for a second and suddenly see the error of your ways?"

"I didn't say my ways were in error; just my words. I shouldn't have implied you... meant less to me. I meant what I said in the clearing, before all of this: I do love you. And while I can't be as flowery as the Peacock Clan or provide for you the way a predator can, I do care for you, in my own way, and the idea that I've caused you pain is ... well, it's painful to me." At her interrupted chuckle he scowled. "I said I wasn't great with words, alright?"

"No, it's ok, I'm sorry, I know what you mean, it's just... never mind. I'm sorry for..." the flame flickering in her soul said she had nothing to be sorry for and it took her a few seconds to come up with a convincing answer. "... I'm sorry for trying to cut your mark off. You're right; I did act rashly and in the moment..."

"Like a child," he said affectionately.

"Don't push it. I'm barely forgiving you for lying to me about Theo."

"I told you I didn't..." He stopped and drew a harsh breath through his nostrils. "I won't fight with you again."

"Oh yeah? Sounds like you had something to say." Even as her head screamed at her to stop fighting, she didn't want to stop herself; Theo was dead, probably killed by Captain, and her own mate refused to believe her without evidence. Where the hell was she supposed to get evidence that Captain poisoned Theo? Or colluded with Ape King?

"Look, I just said I didn't want to fight."

"Yeah, well, maybe I don't want the fight to end on your terms; you still lied to me about Theo." She didn't know if she could forgive that quite yet.

"I didn't lie, I just didn't think you were that clueless," he barked.

"Clueless?" Her voice shook with outrage, escaping her ability to keep it under control.

"Yes, clueless. Why would you have left the City of Beasts if you knew you had a protector there? Why wouldn't you have at least asked after him? Captain brought him to us long before we picked you up and while I can't recall exactly how many days, it was a few sunrises before we found you."