xxviii. 𝐈'𝐥𝐥 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞

Start from the beginning

"Let me see." Austin took the wrap. "When I wasn't doing robotics, the nurse let me volunteer in her office on my free period."

"You went because you wanted to?" Daryl asked him in disbelief as Austin was gentle with Beth's foot.

"Yeah." he hummed. "Back before it was a requirement to stop bleeding and help people. Back then, I enjoyed it."

"What changed?" Beth looked down.

"Because there were hospitals to take away pain." Austin looked up at her with a shake of his head. "Now, I can help, but it won't stop anyone from suffering."

"Peanut Butter and Jelly, Diet Coke, and Pigs Feet." Daryl opened the cabinets.

"PB&J!" Austin announced loudly, they both shhed him violently and quickly. "I haven't had any since before."

"PB&J for Austin." Beth took the jelly from the cabinet. "It all looks good to me."

"No, hold up." Daryl spoke, ignoring Austin's puppy dog look when he took the jar of peanut butter from him. "Ain't a speck of dust on this."

"So?" Beth shrugged, trying not to gush at Austin's pleading look.

"That means someone just put it here." he spoke up. "This is someone's stash. Maybe they're still alive."

"Well, they aren't here right now..." Austin trialed off as his eyes darted back and forth between the jar of peanut butter and to Daryl.

"All right, we'll take some of it and we'll leave the rest, all right?" Daryl nodded his head, handing him the jar as his face lit up.

"I knew it." Beth grinned.

"Knew that?" he asked. Austin's eyes widened at the two packets of hot coco near the windows, making sure neither of them were looking as he snuck them into his bag.

"It's like I said. There's still good people." Beth pointed out as Daryl stuck his hand into the peanut butter. "Gross."

"Those pigs feet are mine." he pointed out as Austin sighed in relief when getting a spoon full of Peanut Butter.

"Mm, you can keep 'em." Austin waved him off, taking the jelly jar next. "All yours."

"Beth." Austin whispered as he walked into the little room, cutting off her singing and piano music. "Look."

She turned back ad he handed her a mug of the hot colo. "Where did you find it?"

"In the kitchen, don't tell Daryl." he grinned, sitting next to her as they both took a sip. "Good?"

"Good." she nodded, setting it down. "Do you know how to play?"

"The piano?" he laughed slightly. "No."

"It's not so hard." she took his hands, placing one finger on one key. "Hit that one."

A little tune placed as he did so, Beth put his other finger on another key. "And this one."

He did so, another tune. She did it a few more times until a faint, and broken up, melody came. Austin's face lit up. "Okay, let me see if I can do it again."

She backed off, he thought hard as his fingers hit the keys, having it down until the final one when a deep tune sounded. "Wrong one."

"Close." she pointed to the one two spaces over. "That's one."

He started again, this time remembering that key as Beth smiled with a back rub. "You got it."

"Place is nailed up right." Daryl walked in. "Only way in is through the front door."