The Story of Kitania and the Dragon

6 hours earlier....

"No, don't touch that Jake!" 

"Marissa, close your mouth when your chewing your food! Which is metal..."

"Skai, how many times do I have to tell you not to fly in the house?"

My hands flew to my head, threatening to pull my hair out. How on earth did the X-Men put up with these kids? I didn't even know if I could handle a normal kid, let alone ten or so mutant children.

"Daniella, why don't you go make some food in the kitchen? Preferably sugar free," Tanya, a fifteen year old shape shifter poked her head around the hallway corner.

My hands lowered to my sides, swinging a bit. "Yeah...sugar free..." 

Amongst the chaos, I managed to make my way towards the kitchen. What I saw made me want to collapse on the floor. The entire fridge had been raided, and the stash of candy and junk food had been thrown along the floor. Packages of chips and candy wrappers covered the floor like confetti. Children were running around, trying to tackle each other over the furniture, and a little boy, probably five years old, was crying on the floor.

"Hey!"

None of the children looked up from their games, in fact, I think they decided to ignore me on purpose.

Trying to keep my head, I knelt on the floor and picked up the little boy, who was rapidly changing temperatures. 

"It's ok, calm down," I tried soothing him, but I was no motherly figure. 

"Hey! Don't push her! Cade, no fireballs indoors!"

The boy's whines turned to higher pitched wales. I tried bouncing him on my hip, but he kept on crying.  

"Stop running!"

A gust of wind whipped past me in a flurry. "Who gave Terra sugar?!" Her blurring form disappeared around the corner. 

The chaos around me was nearly unstoppable. Somebody had raided the paper towels and were now throwing them around the kitchen. Unnameable objects were being tossed around the kitchen, and I swear I heard glass breaking in the other room. 

I felt my heart rate speed up, my fists now clenched. Stiffly setting the boy down on the kitchen counter, I sucked in a deep breath of air. 

"STOOOOP!!" 

My voice boomed around the walls, and soon after a few moments, the chaos subsided. The paper wasn't being thrown, and most of the children were looking at me with stone faces. The others in the other rooms poked their heads inside the kitchen. 

The breath I had been holding whooshed out of my lungs. "Now, all of you, sit down."

They took their seats on the floor, their eyes darting around nervously. 

"Now," I began, placing my hands on my hips. "who started the paper throwing?"

A shy boy around ten raised his hand sheepishly. 

"Whoever made these messes, clean them up. I want the mansion clean when I'm done making lunch."

They immediately rose to their feet and scrambled around, picking up trash and wiping up messes. Turning around, I leveled my face with the boy's.

"Are you okay?"

He nodded, little tear stains drying on his cheeks.

"What's your name?"