Ten

Every sound made Sunghoons head spin. He was hunting again, but this time Heeseung was the one with him. They moved slowly through the dense forest. They had been at it for hours. The sun was setting and the wind blew colder. Heeseung tugged at Sunghoons coat. "Let's sit and wait for something. If we go any further there's no way we will make it back to the house before midnight." He said. Sunghoon nodded and sat on the ground. It wasn't a bad plan, a small animal was bound to run through them at any moment, plus they were exhausted.

Heeseung sighed and looked around before also taking a seat beside Sunghoon.

It was silent. The breeze was cold and the leaves fell slowly.

"You said you and Jay knew each other before this. How'd you meet?" Sunghoon asked. He had been curious about the other boys' dynamics with one another ever since he got there.

"We met in school three years ago when I was sixteen and he was fifteen," he smiled, "he's been my best friend since then. We would hang out at internet cafes all the time and just be together all the time. We were leaving our class when we saw everyone running and screaming on the roads. I get goosebumps just thinking about that time and how confused we were." He shook his body to imitate a shiver.

Sunghoon thought for a moment. "You didn't get to see your family or say goodbye?" He asked carefully, looking the older in the eyes.

Heeseung just shook his head and shrugged. "No. I do always think of them though. The last thing I told my older brother was that he didn't have to pick me up from school because I was going to go to Jay's house, and the last thing I told my mother was to have a good day at work and that I'd see her for dinner... I'd like to think that one day I'll have dinner with her again. I tried calling them but there was no answer." Heeseung sighed but smiled and looked at Sunghoon.

"Where were you when this started?"

"With my sister. We had gone to the fair that was taking place in our city. She had begged my mom to take her but she worked a lot so I offered to. I don't really like crowded places but I wanted my sister to have fun. Last time I saw my mom was that morning too, when she gave me money to get food and the money for the fair tickets. She had told us to be careful and that she loved us." Sunghoon rubbed his arms. "I had fun that day. I didn't think I'd like the fair but I actually did. My sister is wild and loud and energetic." He smiled to the floor. "But when we were walking home, that's when we saw people running and freaking out. I called my mom but no answer either."

"Sunghoon?"

"Hm?"

"Where's your sister?" Heeseung asked in a low voice.

Sunghoon looked at him and shook his head.

Heeseung understood this. Sunghoon didn't want to share much of himself. He was surprised at the information the younger did share and appreciated it.

Sunghoon suddenly grabbed an arrow and slowly got into a crouched position. Heeseung looked around before pulling on the bottom of Sunghoons coat. "What is it?" He whispered.

"Deer" Sunghoon pulled the string of his bow. After a few shots, the deer fell to the ground. They quickly went to it and cleaned the arrows off. Sunghoon said his thanks and prepared to pick the deer up until, "wait," Heeseung whispered. "Look, there's more." It was true. There were three deer behind the trees, not far from the one they killed. "There's so many?" Sunghoon was confused. How is it that they couldn't find any deer for weeks and all of a sudden there were four right in front of them?

"I don't trust this."

Heeseung looked up at the trees, "me neither."

The leaves began to tremble and fall.

"Sunghoon, we have to get out of here."

"But, what about the deer?"

"There's no time we must- ah!" Heeseung yelped as his body was suddenly lifted from the ground and thrown harshly against a tree.

"Heeseung!!" Sunghoon stared at the creature that now stood before him.

The deer were gone, it was just them and the creatures now.

Heeseung groaned as he aimed his gun at it, but before he could shoot, another came running at him. "Sunghoon run!!" He shouted, shooting at the creature. Its loud shrieking pierced the air around them.

"But-"

"Go!"

Sunghoon furrowed his eyebrows at Heeseung but listened and ran, holding his bow so tight, he knew he was bound to get blisters on his palm.

Heeseung pushed himself up quickly and ran, finding a big tree and hiding inside its hollow base. He cursed himself for having dropped his gun while trying to get away. He could hear the weird slimy sound of the creature and the weird, eerily human-like groans it made. He still had one of Sunghoons arrows in his hand, holding it tightly, taking deep breaths.

Once the creature finally came into sight, Heeseung shut his eyes tightly, preparing himself before opening them and pushing himself out of the tree, jumping on the creature from behind and stabbing it repeatedly in the head. It tried to fight back, scratching at his legs and arms before it finally laid limp on the ground.

Heeseungs body burned. His arms were all scratched up and he could see his blood stain his paints. But he had no time to cry, no time to process the larch cuts that now decorated his body. The fabric of his jacket brushed against the scratches and irritated them so he took it off and threw it to the side, wiping his face the best he could with it.

He ran in the direction Sunghoon had gone. His mind wandered. His eyes began to water as he looked around frantically.

"Sunghoon?!" He shouted out. "Sunghoon?!"

Multiple creatures could be heard shrieking from the distance.

"Please, please, please."

"Heeseung!" Sunghoons voice called out. "Heeseung!"

"Sunghoon?!" Heeseung ran in the direction of the younger boy's voice. Finally he could see the boy in view, a creature screeching in his face. Heeseung grabbed a big rock and hit the creature's head as hard as he could, pushing its body onto the ground. He stood up and roughly stomped on its head until it stopped moving. He fell onto his knees in front of Sunghoon and grabbed the boy's face. Sunghoons eyebrows were furrowed and his cheeks were painted with tears, Heeseungs were the same.

Sunghoon opened his mouth to ask if Heeseung was okay but the older pulled him into a hug before he could begin.

"Oh my gosh Sunghoon, I got you, I got you, you're okay, oh my gosh. I got you."